We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Power Conversion - USA to Europe - Power Strip?

srhsxbx asked
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-12-11
Hey guys how's it going. Had a quick question if anybody might be able to help out I'd really appreciate it. Well next week my brother is moving away and will reside in Serbia. He will be doing his best to move his office over there. Now is there any type of surge protector/ power strip that has a European inlet (main plug) and about 4-6 outlets to be USA power. This way he won't have to buy a European power strip and use a bunch of converters for each outlet. If anybody knows about one or has any ideas I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Watch Question

Get one converter and plug the power strip into it.


Do you think that by using a USA surge protector and plugging it into a converter, will i be protected from a surge?

It will be protected as much as it is in the US.


Ok sounds great. By the way i think this is what i was kind of looking for, can you let me know if this looks good?


Is there anything else i will have to get to make US outlets work. From what i understand is i have to buy the WA-GF adapter in order for me to use the outlets.
Thanks for your help.

I'm confused now.
Don't you want the multiple outlets to be USA type?

Serbia uses 220-240 volts AC.
The USA uses 110-120 volts AC.

To get between the two you need a transformer, not just a plug adapter.

I was suggesting that you get one transformer and plug the power strip (one like you already use) into it.

If you look at your devices some may be 110v/220v compatible by sliding the switch on the back.
For those select the correct voltage then you only need the plug adapter.

Distinguished Expert 2019

to add to the above, verify if your PC's and monitors and other hardware support 220 V; many do, but some need still to be switched.
Those you can connect directly; the others will need to connect to a transformer, as suggested above


Hey guys sorry for the confusion. Yes, i think it would be the best to have a surge protector with USA outlets. To be more specific my brother will be using a laptop, Voip phone, and possible some other US products. Now also my brother will probably be using some Serbian products. So that is the reason why i showed you guys that link, because its the closest to what i need, since it has a european (AC) and universal adapters. Will i still need some type of transformer?Thx.
Only need a transformer to get back and forth from 110/120v and 220/240v for devices that don't take the whole range or that don't have the switch.

You need to read the label but most laptop adapters take input for the whole range.
Those will say something like 100v to 250v on the label for input.
For those devices you only need the plug adapter.

Not the solution you were looking for? Getting a personalized solution is easy.

Ask the Experts
Distinguished Expert 2019

yep - and the other ones should be connected as follows :
device A 110 V -->|
Device B 110 V -->|
Device C 110 V -->|
                              |--->powerstrip  -->> transformer side 110 Vout  OO  transformer side 220 V --> AC 220 Vmains  


thx a lot. I get pretty ignorant when it comes down to electricity. Now I understand exactly what you meant by using a transformer. Before both me and many others I talked to thought those plug adapters converted the voltage but we were just lucky that our electronics never got fried in Europe since we had dual voltage. Thanks a lot. You saved me a lot of time and money.
Access more of Experts Exchange with a free account
Thanks for using Experts Exchange.

Create a free account to continue.

Limited access with a free account allows you to:

  • View three pieces of content (articles, solutions, posts, and videos)
  • Ask the experts questions (counted toward content limit)
  • Customize your dashboard and profile

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.