LPR Printing to Windows XP, Solaris 10
Posted on 2009-02-17
We are in the process of implementing Oracle Apps and come to understand the the Oracle system cannot print to local printers as the Printer have to be defined in Oracle Apps as network printers. The first option is to deploy network printer with jet direct cards. The second option is to setup lpr printers on the individual local printers of users. With the present scenario (since the project is yet to go live), the second option is more feasible and cost-effective as well.
My issue starts here. I have done the following on the Windows XP machine
1) I have installed the printing services for unix and have also started the TCP/IP printing services and have set the service to startup automatically.
2) I have installed a local printer with the LPR port and have defined the destination and the port name.
3) From the same machine i run the command lpq -S<IPADDRESS> -P<PORTNAME>....I get the LPD server status stating the availability of the lpr service.
4) From the same machine i execute the lpr command and try to print a text file.
5) The print job shows up in the printer window. The document name shows "Local Downlevel Document. The status shows spooling and the job disappears subsequently.
I have been trying various things out of the bush but have had no luck so far.
Can someone give me some bright ideas.
Will grant 500 points