We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

GAL not updating after manual rebuild and download in Outlook

sduvall1
sduvall1 asked
on
Medium Priority
1,644 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-06
We host our own Exchange 2007 server and we use Outlook 2007 on all our computers.  Recently the Global Address List has stopped updating on all machines.  I have tried many things to troubleshoot this issue.....

1.  Checked my update interval of the offline address book in Exchange (set to 3x daily)
2. Manually refreshed the GAL by right clicking the OAB in the Exchange Management Console and choosing update (it runs 15 events in the event log with no errors, including the last one that says it completes successfully)
3. The address book in OWA stays up to date... it works perfectly
4. Aftering updating on the server I tried downloading the address book in Outlook... no help
5. I deleted all OAB files on the users computer under D&S\<user>\local settings\app data\msft\outlook.  This actually fixed several computers but after about a day their address books reverted back to the old tricks
6.  User do not have "hide from address list" checked in EMC

I'm at a loss.  I know I could edit the registry to make them use a non-cached address book but this has worked in the past and it should be working now and I'd rather not make 45 clients attach to a live GAL... thats bound to hurt server performance.
Comment
Watch Question

Senior System Engineer
Commented:
Some time this happend when the mailbox database is not have the OAB linked with it
check the mailbox database and then tun these command
get-addresslist | update-addresslist
get-offlineaddressbook | get-offlineaddressbook
get-globaladdresslist | update-globaladdresslist
Upate-Filesdistributionservice -id:YOUR_EXCHANGE_SERVER
 
Please check my spell check. my english is not that good
after this
force a Full Offline address book download in the client side
this should fix the problem

Not the solution you were looking for? Getting a personalized solution is easy.

Ask the Experts

Commented:
Also after checking the recommadations provided by "Housammuhanna", check if Autodiscover is working correctly or not. The same can be verified by pressing and holding the Ctrl key and then right clicking on the Outlook icon which is on the System tray and then choose Test Email Auto Configuration and then ensure Only Test Autodiscover is selected and then run the test.

Author

Commented:
This seems to have fixed the problem.  If I could send you more points I'd do it than what I had assigned I'd do it!  Below is the exact list of the commands I ran in the Exchange Shell.  You had one of them as "get" twice...

get-addresslist | update-addresslist

get-offlineaddressbook | update-offlineaddressbook

get-globaladdresslist | update-globaladdresslist

Upate-Filesdistributionservice -id:YOUR_EXCHANGE_SERVER

I'm wondering if moving the database from one server harddrive to the other caused this?  I used the built in tools in the Management Console to do it but thats not to say it couldn't malfunction using the GUI...
Mehmet MuhannaSenior System Engineer

Commented:
I dont think that this will have any effect
 
Thanks for the Point :-)
 
Access more of Experts Exchange with a free account
Thanks for using Experts Exchange.

Create a free account to continue.

Limited access with a free account allows you to:

  • View three pieces of content (articles, solutions, posts, and videos)
  • Ask the experts questions (counted toward content limit)
  • Customize your dashboard and profile

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

OR

Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.