[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 425
  • Last Modified:

Font List Drop Down Hanging / Taking Forever in Windows XP

I have a user that is experiencing the strangest bug. When they attempt to click the Font drop-down list that is present in Office programs such as Outlook or Word, the computer seems to hang for a minute or two before populating the font list. If you switch applications during this minute or two the drop-down box outline shows through other windows and makes it hard to work. What could be causing my users fonts to make the system go slow? It seems to only happen when accessing the list of fonts.
1 Solution
It schemes that you may have corrupted font which can mess up Word pretty badly.

Take a look at the link for fixing fonts.


Hope it will help you

Perhaps just because you have installed so many fonts.

Your total installed fonts should not exceed around 200, or else you will find this kind of behavior in many programs as well, like Adobe PhotoShop, etc.

danielevans83Author Commented:
There are only about 50-60 fonts installed. None of them are 0 bytes. One of them was 22MB (Arial Unicode) but deleting that changed nothing so I restored it again. It happens in both Word and Outlook...I'm downloading the FontAgent to test for corrupted fonts right now. Any other ideas of things to try/check?
Concerto Cloud for Software Providers & ISVs

Can Concerto Cloud Services help you focus on evolving your application offerings, while delivering the best cloud experience to your customers? From DevOps to revenue models and customer support, the answer is yes!

Learn how Concerto can help you.

danielevans83Author Commented:
If I had to guess I'd almost say this is related to viewing the "auto-preview" of the fonts when you list them. I did find an Arial font that was unicode and the font itself was like 25MB.
Anything I could check related to the auto-preview of fonts?
The font preview should be able to keep up with a reasonable amount of fonts. It is veeery unusual to have a font file 25MB in size, especially the system version of Arial.

As previously suggested, it sounds almost definitely like you have some corrupted fonts - often it will take just one corrupted font to slow the entire system down to a crawl when dealing with fonts. Office applications are especially bad at this.

Get your user to try removing fonts which he or she has installed recently until the problem is no longer experienced - a simple process of elimination. Otherwise use the program to test for corruptions which you mentioned earlier
Arial Unicode is around 22MB, and it works without any problem.
I think everyone who can view multilingual sites like Wikipedia and Google in other languages need this font.

You can try removing all fonts from your Fonts folder [except the ones that system cannot allow]
It's better to do it while "Show Hidden Files" turned on.
Then, copy and paste the Fonts folder from some other PC's Windows in your PC...

And if there's something like corrupted fonts or something, it will get fixed.

danielevans83Author Commented:
Re-creating each user's profile seemed to correct the problem. Very odd.

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now