We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Event ID 5719 on WinXP clients on Win Server 2003 Domain

Medium Priority
533 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-06
We are getting Event ID 5719 on our Windows XP Pro SP3 clients on a Windows Server 2003 domain.

This is causing problems with access to some of our servers but most importantly it is causing our Content Management filtering device to block all Internet access for that client until the client has rebooted, or waited 30 - 45 minutes.

And the incidents are increasing.

We have tried increasing the MaxDgramBuffering value from 128 KB to 256 KB:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310339 

But it had no effect.

We tried restarting the Net Logon service on the client and when we did that we could get access to the servers the client previously couldnt get access to, but it didnt help with the Content Management device and access to the Internet, we still have to either reboot the client or wait 30  45 minutes.
Comment
Watch Question

CERTIFIED EXPERT
Most Valuable Expert 2019
Most Valuable Expert 2018
Commented:
This is most commonly caused by incorrect DNS settings.
In short: *all* domain members may *only* use DNS servers that are authoritative for your AD DNS name; routers or external DNS server (from the ISP, for example) may *not* appear in the TCP/IP settings of any domain member (including the DCs). In a usual setup, this means that only the DC(s) may provide DNS services for AD members. Configure forwarders on your DNS servers to forward external requests to your ISP, or simply rely on the root hints.
Details here:

10 DNS Errors That Will Kill Your Network
http://redmondmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=413

Frequently asked questions about Windows 2000 DNS and Windows Server 2003 DNS
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291382

Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825036

Not the solution you were looking for? Getting a personalized solution is easy.

Ask the Experts

Author

Commented:
Sorry to take so long, We tested this on a couple of our machines for a couple days then rolled it out to the domain and now everything works fine, not a single problem has occurred and our original problem has been solved.

I scoured the Net looking for a solution to this and everything kept pointing to the MaxDgramBuffering as the solution.

Thanks for the help.
Access more of Experts Exchange with a free account
Thanks for using Experts Exchange.

Create a free account to continue.

Limited access with a free account allows you to:

  • View three pieces of content (articles, solutions, posts, and videos)
  • Ask the experts questions (counted toward content limit)
  • Customize your dashboard and profile

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

OR

Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.