I have a client who had a simple desire to sync her iPhone with her computer. She had Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express, both of which won't work with the iPhone. So, I upgraded her to Outlook 2003, exported the messages from Outlook Express and now the embedded images won't show up in her Outlook. If I look at Outlook Express, the images are fine. Her machine is running Windows XP SP3, Norton 360 and Spyware Doctor.
Here's what I've done so far:
1. Made sure to uncheck the box under Tools/Options/Security "Don't download...." (Don't remember the exact wording)
2. Uninstalled Norton Anti-Spam.
3. Cleared the C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\OLK*** folder.
4. Uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook 2003.
5. Made sure all updates were current on Windows and Outlook 2003.
6. Changed the location of where the images were to be stored by going into Regedit, HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security\OutlookSecureTempFolder.
I've researched this issue extensively and one thing that keeps coming up is the option to click on the "info bar" and choose to download images. I never get this option when I am in Outlook 2003. The images are replaced with red x's and if I right-click on them, I can view source or select all. The images do show up as attachements, which I can then double-click on and view in a different program.
I'm at a loss. The good news is that her iPhone syncs wonderfully...she just can't read her mail.
Thanks for your time,