Failed to load resources from resource file. Please check your setup.
Posted on 2009-02-19
We've got a bespoke .Net 1.1 database (SQL server) application that we've had developed by a third party. The server is running on SBS 2003 R2 Premium and all the clients are XP SP3.
Recently we a had a bit of a nightmare with trying to uninstall Syamantec Endpoint Security and since then, whenever the application tries to open up Word 2003 for a mailmerge, an error pops up "failed to load resources from resource file. please check your setup" and then after one or two seconds crashes.
The application was working fine before we uninstalled SEP. I've asked the developers for help but they're insisting the problem is not theirs and that the issue must be related to the server itself (or the software on it) as it was all working fine previously. They're suggesting it might be a permissions issue, a corruption or some other misconfiguration.
Does anyone know what sort of permissions they're talking about? We're using AD U&G policies for user access to the database but they seem to allow us to log into the system correctly. I've already tried uninstalling .NET 1.1 and reinstalling it but without success.
Are there any other applications/dependent files I should reinstall or any other things I need to check to see if it's all configured properly? Are there any tools to test if .NET is working properly?
The App Event Viewer Error comes up with a lot of identical errors including the following text....
caught exception in Logger.AppendFile - The given path's format is not supported.
at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CanonicalizePath(String path, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.AddExpressions(String str, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
at MMSv2.Logger.AppendFile(ELevel level, String msg, Exception ex)
log filepath: C:/Program Files/OurDB/C:/Program Files/OurDB/log/logfile20090219.log2
I've tried running procmon on the client pc and can spot a lot of issues relating to the application getting the pathnames to dependent dlls all wrong (all being appended to the path of the application instead of from the correct path) but other than that I have no clue how to interpret the errors.
I have absolutely no clue about programming .NET or SQL server for that matter and don't have access to their source code but I want to make sure the server and clients are all in tip top condition before putting the ball back in the application developers court.
Also, if there's anythnig I should be asking them, please let us know.