Problems searching for data in excel files using windows search
Posted on 2009-02-20
I have a client who is having issues searching for data in excel files. He is doing a windows search on a particular directory looking for specific key account numbers that are located in different excel spreadsheets. When he searches in certain directories the excel spreadsheets are not listing in the results even though he confirms that the searched data (mostly numeric) does exist in those spreadsheets. He does not have an issue in other direcotries that he searches in. All of the spreadsheets are saved in excel 2003 format.
Here is what he has tried so far.
I've been testing further with the search problems and have found the following:
1. Re-Naming the file does not help the search find the number in a cell of an Excel file
2. Making a new file in the same directory does not work to find the number in a cell
3. Making a new file in a different directory does not work to find the number in a cell
4. Mixing letters and numbers allows the numbers to be found in a cell
5. Searching for words works consistently
6. Searching for numbers in cells in files in other directories does work
Let me know if you find something helpful.