Access 2007 error - "Windows cannot find file....."
Posted on 2009-02-20
I am having a problem with an Access 2007 application that I built. I split the database into front and and back end files. The database file sits on a server and the front end is intalled on the desktop. I have rolled out the application to 10 people successfully, and am having a problem with 2 people. Everyone has proper network access to reach the back end database. The 2 problem computers are running vista and office 2007, while the others are all running XP and office 2007. When a user clicks on the .accdb file on their desktop, they get the following error message "Windows cannot find c:/Users\i812376\desktop\pat crotty\nucleus.accdb. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." and the file does not open.
Here are a couple things that I have figured out while troubleshooting.
1. I created a small test .accdb file, and confirmed that they can open the file with no problems (This suggests that the problem might be related to the link between the front end and back end)
2. I have accessed the shared drive on the server where the back end database resides (proves that the users have access to the backend)
3. I put a copy of my front end file onto the problem computer, and it doesn't work on their computer, but still works on mine. (suggests that the actual .accdb file is not corupt)
4. After reading some posts, I downloaded and installed office 2007 sp1 in hopes that it would fix the glitch.....it did not.
5. After doing some google searching of the error message, it seems like a lot of people have experienced this error message with other office files when running vista and office 2007.
6. I tried entering Access 2007 and browsing to the file instead of opening it from the .accdb - this did not work.
Have you run into this problem or do you have any ideas on how I can fix it? I really apprecaite any help you could provide!