We have one old 2003 DC (name: server) on our network which we are looking to decommission :
- First domain in the forest
- All 5 FSMO roles
- DNS, DHCP, File Server, Print Server
We have one 2003 R2 server arriving next week, along with 60 new HP computers replacing 98% computers on the network.
We see this as a perfect opportunity to review our current AD design which is rather poor, so we would like to setup this new server in a lab and get our AD design, OU and file share structure nailed down. In the lab, the new server will have a different computer name (LPLDC1), and will be setup as the first domain in a new forest which will be using the same domain name WAGROUP as the old DC.
- How could we achieve replacing the old 2003 DC? Would we just demote the old 2003 DC and then plugin in LPLDC1? We are assuming that demoting the old server will remove/seize the FSMO roles, so when we add LPLDC1 it will take over with all 5 FSMO roles and run as PDC.
- Could we start copying file shares and migrate printer settings from the old server to the LPLDC1 after the old server has been demoted?
- How would we approach the computers on the network which were joined to the old 2003 server, would just renewing the IP address kick them into using DHCP leases from LPLDC1?
Once LPLDC1 has gone live, We would also like the old 2003 server to be a secondary DC, replicating the AD and DNS from LPLDC1.
- Could we just add the old 2003 server as an additional domain controller which would replicate the AD and DNS?
Does this seem the right approach? or if anyone has any other ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.