Outlook Webmail randomly stops functioning internally and externally. Connection Interrupted
Exchange Server 2003 on Server 2003 Enterprise
Our webmail service seems to randomly stop from time to time. There is nothing in the event viewer to indicate as to why (that I have noticed), and the server that is hosting the webmail is functioning perfectly. Exchange is also working fine with local Outlook clients. I have checked the routine services which may have stopped functioning, and I even reset those which applied to OWA. I have no clue as to what causes this problem.
The only way I have found to fix this issue is to completely reboot the server. If not once, then twice.
A few odd things I have noted:
1. Symantec Endpoint was uninstalled from this computer, but the Application Pool still has some Symantec residue. (I'll post the specific applications that are linking to Symantec. I am away from the server at the moment). I believe that one of the folders containing the Symantec application was in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Inetpub\Reporting I'll have to get the exact directory later. Anyways, the symantec has been uninstalled, and it has no active services running, yet it seems active in my Webmail in IIS
2. Sometimes I get "connection interrupted" and other times I get a "cannot display webpage" error message when the webmail goes down