Cannot find or create the font 'font name'. Some characters may not display or print correctly.
I get this error with almost any PDF I open from the Internet. I am not actually missing any of the named fonts. In fact, even PDF files I've created myself that open fine from my hard drive or server give me this error once they are loaded onto my website.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Reader (but haven't done so with Acrobat). I have also tried changing the settings for the file type extension to open with Reader instead of Acrobat. Still no luck. (My preference is to default to Acrobat Professional).
Another peculiar thing about this problem is that I only get the error the first time I try to open the file online. If I close it and click on a link for a PDF I have previously opened, the fonts display correctly with no error.