Solved

Software Assurance Upgrade

Posted on 2009-04-03
3
521 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-06
I have a client who bought SA for their SBS server 2003. The SA term expires in 30 days. They don't really want to upgrade now, as everything is working perfectly and they have no need. However, they would like to have the option to upgrade in the future. Is it possible to execute an SA upgrade, without actually installing the upgrade? In other words, can they exercise their right to upgrade now before the term expires, but then simultaneously exercise their downgrade rights and keep running the 2003 box, while having the 2008 license in their pocket?
0
Comment
Question by:sysreq2000
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 26

Expert Comment

by:lnkevin
ID: 24063110
When your agreement becomes due, you have until the end of the month to renew through your license provider. You then enter a grace period of 30 or 90 days (depending on the type of volume licensing agreement you hold), during which you can renew without interrupting your Software Assurance coverage.If you do not contact your license provider and renew prior to this date, your Software Assurance benefits will lapse, and you will be required to repurchase licenses, along with new Software Assurance coverage.
Back to your situation, if you are in the migration process to 2008, you may just want to terminate the benefit by let it expired. Unless your process may take another year, I don't see a reason to continue with the older policy.

K
0
 
LVL 11

Author Comment

by:sysreq2000
ID: 24090641
Thanks Inkevin. They're not actually in the process of upgrading to 2008, and definitely will not be in the next 30 days. However, six months or a year down the road they may want to. It's not worth renewing the SA since it's not much price difference than just buying the upgrade. But the question is, can they exercise their right to upgrade now, but not actually install the upgrade for a year or so.
0
 
LVL 26

Accepted Solution

by:
lnkevin earned 500 total points
ID: 24090998
If I read your question correctly, the answer is you can exercise the upgrade now, which obtain the upgrade license and package so you can get a good deal. They don't care when is the actual install. However, the upgrade license may not be used to support the older vesion (I would call the provider to find out if they can continue to support the current with upgrade version. I doubt it). If you are not sure whether or not the upgrade will take place in the next year, you may have to continue with the renewal and postpone the upgrade or you can do both. Your case you are working on the upgrade, you can just get the upgrade package.

K
0

Featured Post

Manage your data center from practically anywhere

The KN8164V features HD resolution of 1920 x 1200, FIPS 140-2 with level 1 security standards and virtual media transmissions at twice the speed. Built for reliability, the KN series provides local console and remote over IP access, ensuring 24/7 availability to all servers.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

The 6120xp switches seem to have a bug when you create a fiber port channel when you have a UCS fabric interconnects talking to them.  If you follow the Cisco guide for the UCS, the FC Port channel will never come up and it will say that there are n…
A quick step-by-step overview of installing and configuring Carbonite Server Backup.
A short tutorial showing how to set up an email signature in Outlook on the Web (previously known as OWA). For free email signatures designs, visit https://www.mail-signatures.com/articles/signature-templates/?sts=6651 If you want to manage em…

756 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question