[2 days left] What’s wrong with your cloud strategy? Learn why multicloud solutions matter with Nimble Storage.Register Now

x
?
Solved

Mail For Exchange problem  with Exchange Server 2003

Posted on 2009-04-06
5
Medium Priority
?
817 Views
Last Modified: 2012-06-22
Hi - . I am having an issue with Mail For Exchange on mobile devices. According to my IT guy we are running Microsoft Windows SBS 2003 SP2, with Exchange server 2003 SP2. I've got "all the boxes" ticked for remote and mobile mail access however we are still having problems. We are using Mail For Exchange on Nokia E71 devices. however instead of receiving emails to the mobile devices all the time we are only receving them when the client PC is switched on with Outlook running. All the devices are set up to synchronise with the server and not with the Client PCs so i am at a loss as to why this would happen. Can anyone help with this? I am desperate for help as when the sales team go out they (obviously) close their laptops down and immediately stop getting emails to their E71 devices. This of course totally defeats the object of the exercise.
0
Comment
Question by:rlilwall
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 7

Expert Comment

by:vikasjus
ID: 24075659
Basic!! Active Sync is Exchange component which gives push mail facility for mail enabled mobile device. That is you can receive mails on your mobile if Active sync is configured on your mail server.
You need to confirm with your IT if it is configured in your setup. If not then one need to configure it.
Reason for not getting mails after PC switch off is might be nokia application is receiving mails from server and forwarding it to your mobile. On switch off it will not receive mails from exchange server and wont deliver it to your mobile.
Please check possiblity of active sync in your setup and that is the only way to get mails on mobiles. Other option is have IPS tieup for blackberry services, but in that case you need to switch on blackberry phones or phones having blackberry facility. E71 has separate software which enables blackberry option for E71.
0
 

Author Comment

by:rlilwall
ID: 24078000
Mail server is configued for this so this is not the problem. it is very strange as when the client PC is switched off 1 or two emails (out of perhaps 30 - 40) do somehow sneal through and make it to the E71 devices).
0
 
LVL 7

Expert Comment

by:vikasjus
ID: 24084120
Then there is some problem with Active sync. Either it is not configured or some problem with it. To check do the following. Type following url in IE
https://IP address of your exchange server/oma
(If SSL is not configured then type http://IP address of your exchange server/oma)
it will ask you user name and password. post entering this it will show you text formated outlook mobile access page. click on INBOX and check all mails are present in inbox.
let us know result of above test.
0
 

Author Comment

by:rlilwall
ID: 24087773
My IT Consultant replies - "ActiveSync is configured and running, if you'd like to try the test he suggests, use https://address ofexchangeserver/oma from your office and you will see it working. I've also tested https://otheraddressofexchangeserver/oma (which is the external URL) and this also works. What I did was, open the oma inbox page for admin using the external URL, noted 1983 unread messages. Opened an Outlook client inside your network, noted 1908 unread messages, the folder then updated (the client was running in cached mode) and then showed 1983 unread messages, the same as oma. I closed the Outlook client, reopened oma and sent a test message to the admin address. Returning to the oma home page then showed 1984 unread messages in the inbox. Re-opening the client showed 1984 unread messages once it updated from the server, sending a test message from the client to the admin address and refreshing the oma inbox page updated the unread count to 1984."
any use?
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
rlilwall earned 0 total points
ID: 24145525
My IT support has now found out why it was not working. They have resolved the problem. this is unfortunately to technical for me to understand to the point where i can easily relay the solution online. However it seems that the previous configuration settings on the server we used when we had Blackberry BES were needed changing for MfE.
0

Featured Post

Creating Active Directory Users from a Text File

If your organization has a need to mass-create AD user accounts, watch this video to see how its done without the need for scripting or other unnecessary complexities.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

How to deal with a specific error when using the Enable-RemoteMailbox cmdlet to create a mailbox in the cloud-based service, for an existing user in an on-premises Active Directory.
Are you an Exchange administrator employed with an organization? And, have you encountered a corrupt Exchange database due to which you are not able to open its EDB file. This article will explain all the steps to repair corrupt Exchange database.
This video discusses moving either the default database or any database to a new volume.
This video demonstrates how to sync Microsoft Exchange Public Folders with smartphones using CodeTwo Exchange Sync and Exchange ActiveSync. To learn more about CodeTwo Exchange Sync and download the free trial, go to: http://www.codetwo.com/excha…
Suggested Courses

656 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question