Solved

Web links in outlook web access are incorrect.

Posted on 2009-04-06
5
435 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-06
We have a 2003 server running Exchange 2003 and whenever a web link is sent via Outlook Web Access our domain gets appended as a prefix to the URL.

For example if I sent a link to www.disney.com, when you click on it it takes you to
https://schoolname.k12.pa.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.disney.com

How can I fix this?  I'm thinking it's probably an easy fix I just don't know where to look or what to change.

Thanks!
M.
0
Comment
Question by:mscalafasd
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 37

Expert Comment

by:meverest
ID: 24084020
Hi,

is that a bad thing?  you should still see the intended web site when you click on the link, don't you?

doing it like that means that your email is less likely to be treated as spam or phishing, and you can track clicks on emails through the web app.

Cheers.
0
 
LVL 65

Accepted Solution

by:
Mestha earned 250 total points
ID: 24086511
That is the standard behaviour of OWA and cannot be changed.
You would only see that type of URL if the email is forwarded from OWA or is a copy and paste from a message open in OWA. It shouldn't happen on new messages.
Basically it is a way of OWA protecting itself from a malformed URL. Nothing to do with tracking or anything like that, just a security feature.

Simon.
0
 

Author Comment

by:mscalafasd
ID: 24087061
When someone clicks on the url in the message it doesn't work.
Everyone has to copy the URL from the message and paste it into their browser.

Any fix?

Thanks,

M.
0
 
LVL 65

Expert Comment

by:Mestha
ID: 24087127
It should work - that is the point.
What happens when you click on the link?

Simon.
0
 

Author Comment

by:mscalafasd
ID: 24098905
Mestha,

When it doesn't work, it actually sends people to:
https://schoolname.k12.pa.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.disney.com

It doesn't take the prefix away and therefore doesn't work.
However I just tried it and it's fine... so maybe it's just a few teachers or something that are having this issue for some reason.

Thanks, I'll have to look into this more.

Matt
0

Featured Post

Free NetCrunch network monitor licenses!

Only on Experts-Exchange: Sign-up for a free-trial and we'll send you your permanent license!

Here is what you get: 30 Nodes | Unlimited Sensors | No Time Restrictions | Absolutely FREE!

Act now. This offer ends July 14, 2017.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

A phishing scam that claims a recipient’s credit card details have been “suspended” is the latest trend in spoof emails.
Preparing an email is something we should all take special care with – especially when the email is for somebody you may not know very well. The pressures of everyday working life stacked with a hectic office environment can make this a real challen…
The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability groups. The components of this video include: 1. Automatic Failover 2. Failover Clustering 3. Active Manager
how to add IIS SMTP to handle application/Scanner relays into office 365.

688 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question