OWA Redirecting to Internal Server Name

Posted on 2009-04-07
Last Modified: 2012-05-06
For some reason, when accessing our OWA site through our external DNS it gets redirected to https://server.domain.local.  Internally and externally produces the same results even though I created an A record for

What really baffles me though is that OWA still works externally, even though the internal server name is displayed in the address bar.  The biggest problem however is since the incorrect address is being shown we're getting a certificate error.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks in advance
Question by:paintb4707
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 3
LVL 65

Expert Comment

ID: 24089376
Sounds like some kind of redirection has been set, possibly to enforce the use of SSL.
Has it ever worked correctly?


Author Comment

ID: 24089660
Yes, it has.  I had to go through some PCI compliance crap recently, I wonder if this has anything to do with it?
LVL 65

Expert Comment

ID: 24089697
What I was think of was this:

The simple way to avoid the problem is to simply not open port 80 on the firewall. Make the users enter the https: version of the URL. After a few days of getting the error they will soon learn.

Office 365 Training for IT Pros

Learn how to provision tenants, synchronize on-premise Active Directory, implement Single Sign-On, customize Office deployment, and protect your organization with eDiscovery and DLP policies.  Only from Platform Scholar.


Author Comment

ID: 24089731
I do force HTTPS on our OWA server, since we're behind NAT and we also have a webserver, http is not an option externally.  I figured setting a redirection would be a waste of effort.
LVL 65

Accepted Solution

Mestha earned 350 total points
ID: 24089787
The only reason Exchange directs to the server's internal FQDN is when you have multiple Exchange servers and you login to the wrong one. It then redirects you to the correct one. If you only have a single server then that shouldn't be happening.

If you undo the change that you made above and then run IISRESET does that resolve the problem?


Author Closing Comment

ID: 31567628
Yup, that was it.  Silly me.  I originally set the "Usehostname" command which I guess set it to the internal FQDN.  I used the "Sethostname" command to our external address and that fixed it.


Featured Post

PeopleSoft Has Never Been Easier

PeopleSoft Adoption Made Smooth & Simple!

On-The-Job Training Is made Intuitive & Easy With WalkMe's On-Screen Guidance Tool.  Claim Your Free WalkMe Account Now

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article lists the top 5 free OST to PST Converter Tools. These tools save a lot of time for users when they want to convert OST to PST after their exchange server is no longer available or some other critical issue with exchange server or impor…
In-place Upgrading Dirsync to Azure AD Connect
In this video we show how to create a Resource Mailbox in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: Navigate to the Recipients >> Resources tab.: "Recipients" is our default selection …
In this video we show how to create an Address List in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Organization >> Ad…
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month5 days, 15 hours left to enroll

627 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question