Solved

Outlook 2007 intermittantly stops recieving recieving email

Posted on 2009-04-07
8
227 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-06
I am running into an intermittent issue, where random Outlook 2007 clients will stop receiving emails even though Outlook shows as connected.  I have tried using Send/Receive, re-installing Office/Outlook, Disabling Cached Mode, and the only thing that seems to work even temporarily is to close and re-open Outlook.  I have reviewed both the server and client event logs, and see nothing even remotely related.  These are local users, and RPC over HTTP is not configured.  I have also verified that there are no problems connecting to the PDC or Exchange server via DCDIAG and NETDIAG.  Network bandwidth also verified, Gigabit backbone and 100MB to the desktop with no more than 10% utilization on any given port, which is on a server running a specific network intensive application.  Users running this application have no problem so I think I can exclude that piece from the overall issue.

Exchange consists of a Windows 2003 Enterprise server running Exchange 2003 PLENTY of RAM, HD and Proc for the number of users.

Clients are running WinXP SP3, and Outlook 2007 primarily.

0
Comment
Question by:SBWP
  • 5
  • 3
8 Comments
 
LVL 7

Expert Comment

by:sanjaykumar_p
ID: 24095048
How many users are facing similar issue? Have you checked if outlook has patched with all latest updates ?
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11335#tab0

Have you tried to reconfigure outlook profile?
0
 

Author Comment

by:SBWP
ID: 24098204
I don't have an exact count of users as I'm sure some folks just aren't saying anything or don't realize it's happening.  The three or four not including myself, have had all patches/updates installed.  I have not tried reconfiguring the outlook profile, because it is intermittent.  One day, Outlook will work just fine, then the next, no new emails show up. Sometimes, there are no new emails delivered/displayed even when first logging in and opening outlook for the day.  The user has to close and then re-open outlook for them to show up in these cases.

One user experiencing the problem is still running Outlook 2003 due to his being the "big boss" and not liking the newer layout etc.  This user is also fully patched and updated.

I myself experienced the problem yesterday, and is why I posted the question.  I am running WinXP SP3, and Outlook 2007 SP1 etc.  I was able to close and re-open outlook, and have been receiving emails just fine since.
0
 

Author Comment

by:SBWP
ID: 24098330
Some additional information that may or may not help:

I have about 35 users locally connected to the Exchange server.  7 of which including myself are Blackberry Redirector users.  I am the only BB user that is currently experiencing the problem.  I noticed the issue yesterday because my BB was getting emails, even though they were not showing up in outlook.  BB and Outlook are on the same PC.
0
PRTG Network Monitor: Intuitive Network Monitoring

Network Monitoring is essential to ensure that computer systems and network devices are running. Use PRTG to monitor LANs, servers, websites, applications and devices, bandwidth, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and many more. PRTG is easy to set up & use.

 
LVL 7

Accepted Solution

by:
sanjaykumar_p earned 500 total points
ID: 24098375
It sounds like a corrupt ost file. Close outlook and do a search on the PC for *.ost -> Rename the file to .old and then open outlook again. Outlook will at this point configure a new ost file. I would also suggest to verify if you have any outlook add-ins

0
 

Author Comment

by:SBWP
ID: 24098848
I will give this a try, but the intermittent nature doesn't seem to be an OST issue.  Mine is working fine today without doing as such.  I will let you know if it make any difference, it might be a day or so.
0
 

Author Comment

by:SBWP
ID: 24141486
After doing some additional research on the few machines that were being affected, it appears that there are remnant Symantec AV Add-In's still installed, even after running the removal tool when I moved to Panda AV.  After manually removing the info for the Symantec Add-Ins, there have been no more complaints.
0
 
LVL 7

Expert Comment

by:sanjaykumar_p
ID: 24141528
Good you found the root cause :-)
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:SBWP
ID: 31567815
Thanks for the help!!!
0

Featured Post

NAS Cloud Backup Strategies

This article explains backup scenarios when using network storage. We review the so-called “3-2-1 strategy” and summarize the methods you can use to send NAS data to the cloud

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Disabling the Directory Sync Service Account in Office 365 will stop directory synchronization from working.
Scam emails are a huge burden for many businesses. Spotting one is not always easy. Follow our tips to identify if an email you receive is a scam.
To show how to create a transport rule in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Rules tab.:  To cr…
This video discusses moving either the default database or any database to a new volume.

810 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question