Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'  Unspecified error

Posted on 2009-04-08
Last Modified: 2012-08-14
My Win 2000 server crashed last night.  Upon a hard reboot my website asp pages are served but any page that need to get data from my MS Access 2000 Databases are throwing the following error:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

Unspecified error

I hunted through Google but could find any specific instructions on troubleshooting this problem?  Can someone help me?
Question by:cdemott33
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 4
  • 2

Expert Comment

ID: 24098099
Can you supply your connection strings and what page you initially get he errors from.
LVL 23

Expert Comment

ID: 24098507
Also, try and open your database in its MS Access environment, and make sure the database itself is not corrupted. This can often be the case when access is terminated in a server enrieonment unexpectedly

Author Comment

ID: 24098517
I don't believe it has anything to do with the connection string, because, up to the point of my server crashing, the connection strings have been in place for at least a year, working perfectly.  Then, on hard reboot, it just stopped working.

I think it has something to do with the server crash and hard reboot?  Something is preventing my ASP code from connecting to the database.  Something on the server.

There are about 5 website on my server.  Each website has it own unique database (mdb) and each website is throwing the same error message.  So whatever it is, it's affect all the databases and not just a single database.

Any other thoughts?   Again, it is MS Acess 2000 running on a Windows 2000 server.  Is there some way of checking to see if the system put a lock on all the databases or something?  I'm sorry, but I don't know very much about server administration so I really do need help.  Thanks!

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

LVL 23

Expert Comment

ID: 24098631
download one of the databases and try and access it from the MS Access environment. do you have backups?

Expert Comment

ID: 24098642
Send the connection string really! It all helps, because we aren't mind readers! :)

Author Comment

ID: 24098656
Hi apresto - I tried that and I am able to open the databases via the MS Access environment.  I haven't added anything to the tables that I opened I just made sure I could open them and read the data, which I can.  

Expert Comment

ID: 24098699
I would also try reinstalling MDAC again as this may have been corrupted.

Author Comment

ID: 24098739
As requested here's an example.  It uses a UDL file to connect to the database
	' From
	Const adOpenKeyset = 1
	Const adLockPessimistic = 2
	Const adCmdText = &H0001
	' Get filename and build SQL query
	strSQLStatement = "SELECT * FROM Login;"
	' Open our recordset
	Set strFilename = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
	' Access version:
	strFilename.Open strSQLStatement , _
		"File Name=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\UDLFiles\ClientA_Database.udl", _
		adOpenKeyset, adLockPessimistic, adCmdText
	If NOT strFilename.EOF Then
	End If
	' Close our connection
	Set strFilename = Nothing	

Open in new window


Expert Comment

ID: 24105298
Try using a DSNless connection

Accepted Solution

cdemott33 earned 0 total points
ID: 24107538
Well I reboot the server,which seams to have "magically" resoloved the problem.  I would have prefered to get to the root cause of the issue, but I could not have the websites unavailable for any extended lenght of time.

I really don't believe it has anything to do with the connection string because I've been using the same exact method of connecting to the database for 2 years now and I haven't had any trouble at all.  

I believe that when the server crash/froze up and I hard booted it something got "Lock" and prevented the connections from working.  I have no idea what could have done that, but, for now, a soft reboot seamed to clear things up.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Hopefully this will not happen again, any time soon.

Featured Post

Ransomware: The New Cyber Threat & How to Stop It

This infographic explains ransomware, type of malware that blocks access to your files or your systems and holds them hostage until a ransom is paid. It also examines the different types of ransomware and explains what you can do to thwart this sinister online threat.  

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Split on ASP 8 53
Fields don't match on a query 9 47
Compress Newid value ms sql Mssql 4 48
Missing DLL in Access 2010 11 31
Phishing attempts can come in all forms, shapes and sizes. No matter how familiar you think you are with them, always remember to take extra precaution when opening an email with attachments or links.
It’s been over a month into 2017, and there is already a sophisticated Gmail phishing email making it rounds. New techniques and tactics, have given hackers a way to authentically impersonate your contacts.How it Works The attack works by targeti…
Basics of query design. Shows you how to construct a simple query by adding tables, perform joins, defining output columns, perform sorting, and apply criteria.
In Microsoft Access, learn different ways of passing a string value within a string argument. Also learn what a “Type Mis-match” error is about.

751 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question