A potential client asked me to give them a rate for installing key logger/monitor software on 20 of their local workstations. The employer does not have an AUP agreement established with their employees. The client is asking about getting screen shots captured, and also using microphones and establishing an audio broadcast as well. While I'm not sure if this is possible to do without the employee knowing, I am somewhat confident that this is illegal And now, my question:
1. If there is not an AUP established, is this illegal?
2. Aren't AUP policies simply used to punish/fire someone should they break these rules?
3. If the user is on the owner's network, is it illegal for the owner to monitor the user's activities?
4. If this is considered "legal" as long as the owner does not use the monitoring software as a means to fire someone, is it ethically inappropriate and considerably immoral?
5. If it is not illegal, what products should I recommend to the client? I have never dealt with audio monitoring software. This would also require that every workstation have a very small mic installed as well.