I am trying to decide between the Fortigate 310b smb/enterprise UTM firewall and the the Sonicwall e4500-series firewall for our company.
We have about 250-300 users typically on the system (with a max of 400), and will need to firewall both our Internet connection and our internal LAN segments. Because this firewall will also do routing for our network, reliability is extremely important.
Internet connection is 10mbps. Internal LAN is 100mbps and 1000mbps.
The Sonicwall seems to be quite a bit less expensive than the Fortigate, so that is starting to weigh in its favor.
However, support and reliability are very important. I have heard about stability complaints in earlier Sonicwall models.
Here are my questions:
1. Any comments on Sonicwall support for their E-series appliances?
2. Anything that the e-series does not do well? For example, I read that firewall policies cannot be configured per-port, as they can on the Fortigates.
3. Any reliability issues on the E-series? How often do they need to be rebooted?
4. Any particular successes with your E-series Sonicwalls?
5. Any reason you prefer the Sonicwall over the Fortigate?
I'm trying to gather enough info to see if there is a good reason to use Sonicwall over Fortigate.