Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 370
  • Last Modified:

Exchange 2007 Upgrade to SP1 Failed

I was upgrading Exchange 2007 RTM to SP1, as it failed in the Hub Transport Role section with the following message:

When the AuthMechanism parameter on a Receive connector is set to the value ExchangeServer, you must set the FQDN parameter on teh Receive connector to one of the following values: the FQDN of the transport server "martini.bcr.loal", the NetBIOS name of the transport server "MARTINI", or $null.

Please help, I am unfamiliar with this.
ExchangeSp1.jpg
0
pzozulka
Asked:
pzozulka
  • 7
  • 3
  • 3
  • +1
2 Solutions
 
tompi68Commented:
try to run the sp1 Update in an command line and NOT in the gui
setup.com /mode:upgrade
that should work
0
 
tompi68Commented:
0
 
pzozulkaAuthor Commented:
I tried running it from command prompt as well but it fails. You second advice sounds very good. I have only one question. The FQDN is currently set to mail.domain.com. The internal FQDN is totally different, as you can see in the attached picture it is "martini.bcr.local".

I am afraid that if I change that, it is somehow tied into our SSL certificates, and that might cause problems.
0
VIDEO: THE CONCERTO CLOUD FOR HEALTHCARE

Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.

 
FearNoMoreCommented:
You can change mail.domain.com to the FQDN of the server martini.bcr.local and then once SP1 upgrade completes....then go ahead and change it back to mail.domain.com
0
 
pzozulkaAuthor Commented:
Tried that, and I get the same exact error message seen above.
0
 
FearNoMoreCommented:
Uncheck the Exchange Server Authentication from the Authentication tab of the
Receive Connector and try the same steps mentioned above
0
 
MesthaCommented:
You need to change the FQDN on your receive connector to one of the values mentioned, then restart the transport service.
You will NOT be able to change it back as the only accepted values are those listed - the NETBIOS name, the FQDN or blank.

Simon.
0
 
tompi68Commented:
Did you try the update via command shell?
0
 
pzozulkaAuthor Commented:
Yes, I tried updating via command shell. Same thing.

FearNoMore: "Uncheck the Exchange Server Authentication from the Authentication tab of the
Receive Connector".

*************  What does this option do? *******

This kind of fixed it. I didnt have to change the FQDN part, but now our Blackberry handhelds can no longer send emails, but still can receive emails. Our Blackberry Enterprise Server is on a different box.

Mestha: I will try to change it to one of the suggestions "martini.bcr.local", and will enable Exchange Server Authentication for now. **********What does this options do?***********
0
 
pzozulkaAuthor Commented:
Mestha: Also, if I change this to the suggested option of "martinit.bcr.local" how will this effect our SSL certificate?
0
 
MesthaCommented:
Has nothing to do with the certificate, and has nothing to do with the authentication settings. Purely and simply down to the fact that the receive connectors can only have one of the three names on them.

I blogged on this problem when SP1 was released in November 2007:
http://blog.sembee.co.uk/archive/2007/11/30/63.aspx

Simon.
0
 
pzozulkaAuthor Commented:
I will go through your blog right now. I have one more question. When I was playing around with the settings of the Receive Connectors I don't remember the original settings of the "Exchange Server Authentication" option.

I have 2 connectors:
Martini (Port 25)
Martini (Port 587) Secure

Is the "Exchange Server Authentication" option suppose to be checked for both of them? I think it was originally checked for only Martini (Port 25). This was very late at night yesterday, and I don' t remember the original settings. How is this set by default?
0
 
pzozulkaAuthor Commented:
"Why would you change this? When you telnet to the server it is the receive connector that is answering the call and you may want to change it so that the public name of the server is answered instead."

This is a quote from your blog. I wanted to know what you mean by "you may want to change it so the public name of the server is answered instead"???

This is what it used to be. We had it set to the public name of "mail.domain.com" and that didnt work.
0
 
MesthaCommented:
Having it set to the public name is why people are changing it, but doing so makes no difference to email delivery. The only one that is of any concern is the Send connector, because that is how your server appears to the internet. For receiving email the remote site doesn't care how your server announces itself.

Simon.
0
 
pzozulkaAuthor Commented:
Mestha's way solved to problem.
FearNoMore: Your way seemed to have worked for us as well in post ID: 24105289. Unchecking the Exchange Server Authentication also fixed the problem without having to change the FQDN. I guess this would work for those that only have 1 Exchange Server in their environment, and no Exchange Server to Exchange Server authentication would be required. We have more than 1, we still have the old Exchange 2003 that we did not fully move out yet. It still holds the Blackberry Enterprise Server on it. When we unchecked "Exchange Server Authentication" we could no longer send out emails via Blackberries.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: SSL Checker

Scans your site and returns information about your SSL implementation and certificate. Helpful for debugging and validating your SSL configuration.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 7
  • 3
  • 3
  • +1
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now