Windows XP - Boot Faster??
Posted on 2009-04-10
I had a system with the following configuration:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model M61PME-S2
System Type X86-based PC
AMD Athlon Dual core processor
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2411 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2410 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F2, 3/7/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Time Zone India Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB -- Kingston 2 x 2 GB 800 MHz
Available Physical Memory 2.52 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 4.84 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
HDD - Seagate SATA 160 GB
Sony DVDRW and Asus CDROM attached to IDE port
450W Power supply
I had recently assembled this system myself. The configuration is pretty self explanatory. The system is up and running smooth.
My only concern is the booting time. Apart from MS office 2003(Licensed) and Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition(Licensed stand alone), there are no other softwares present in the system.From the moment the windows splash screen appears on the screen, it is taking 1 min 20 seconds until i see the complete desktop and all the HDD activity stop.
I think it should be much more faster (probably under less than a minute) and i suspect the antivirus to be the culprit as it may be taking more time.
I had done the following troubleshooting:
1) Disabled many unneeded services.
2) Removed all startup programs through msconfig (only 2 antivirus services are present).
3) Defragmented the drive (though really not necessary).
4) Turned off system restore.
5) Turned off all eye candy except windows xp theme.
6) Disabled windows firewall, automatic updates, security centre.
7) No background running programs except the antivirus.
8) No external devices.
9) Only one internal SATA HDD present.
10) Stand alone PC. Not in a network.
11) No startup sounds and no wallpaper.
12) All drivers are uptodate.
13) Disabled all boot up and memory scans in antivirus.
Can anybody suggest me what are the things i am missing here and what i can do to decrease the bootup time?