when i install win 2003 server on a domain for example and it asks me for a name, I have named it:
Ive also installed win 2003 on a 2nd pc added it to the domain only and added primary dns to point to "DC1.local" & also put my exchange 2003 on the same pc. ive named this exchange 2003 server:
after obviously installing the relevant SP's for both and hotfixes and added "smart host" entry from NTL ISP: smtp.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk.
which then enabled me to log onto my client pc and send an email which passed through my home exchange 2003 server to 2 external email addresses.
my query is when im naming the above, should have i called DC1.local:
1. - DC1.mydomain.local for example instead of just as above?
note: i ask this because i have a business line at home and have a "static ip address" for my NTL ISP, but at the moment not using a domain name from them!
i do have a domain name currently with 123reg called: masterexchange.co.uk
i have added an "A record" & "mx record" pointing to my "static ip address"
2. so should have i called DC1.local, DC1.masterexchange.local?
3. after running "/forestprep & /domainprep" on exchange 2003 server i followed the guide from "deploy tools" from the actual CD which told me to run: "orgprepcheck", to confirm exchange to this point was installed. but on the disc it prompts me to put in the "Global Catalogue" and when i typed in: "email-pri" & tried "DC1.local"this did not work and it stated that the server name was incorrect. Why?
4. i then accessed the command prompt and typed:
d:\support\exdeploy\exdeploy.exe /gc:dc1.local /t:orgprepcheck - and this worked
so why didnt it work from the original disc?
5. when I now try to reply back to the email ive sent myself externally it returns:
note: im assuming that in order to send email that was sent via "smart host" which then enabled me to send email externally.
6. so if i wish to reply back to the emails received or even send a separate email rather than selecting reply, is this where my domain I currently have comes into affect and if not set up correctly i would not be able to send emails back, hence the response im getting?
note: on my 123 reg domain ive added:
mail.masterexchange.co.uk - IP Address, which is my static ip address that NTL ISP have given me
7. do i need to add presumably an "mx record" on my home Primary DC1.local to link it all together, in which case im assuming it should be:?
- mail.masterexchange.co.uk - I have added it but still cannot receive emails back!