Windows SBS2003 and Wireless AP
Posted on 2009-04-13
HI All, this is a question about the setup of the network that is a follow up to a question I asked about wireless access by PDA type device to Internal web pages. I have SBS2003 setup with 2 NIC and Intel RMM module. The Server does ADS and GP management. And hosting of the Network file shares.
One NIC connect to a Switch and the switch connects to a Dlink Firewall then a ADSL router which connects to the Net. This NIC gets its IP address from the ADSLRouter.This cable on the server only gets connected when updating windows.
The other NIC is for the Gigabit Unmanged LAN switch, it has a static IP addess 200.200.200.X( the NIC ). All the Machines, Printers on the network are routed with static Ip Addresses. The network works fine with No issues so far( Touch Wood!).
I now want to add a Wireless AP to enable PDA's with Wifi access to web pages on the sbs Server.The server does not have DHCP enabled. I have enabled DNS server for routing the Human readable to Ip address for the web pages(forward look up zones).
My Plan so Far:
1) The AP links to my Lan.
2) I give it a Fixed IP Address
3) I tell the AP to assign a device on the Wifi a particular IP in a given limited range of IP addresses. I want to use 18.104.22.168-22.214.171.124. Number below 126.96.36.199 will be for other devices.
4) I enable mac filtering for the Wifi Devices.
1) Do I need to enable DHCP on the AP?
2) What about the IP Add already assigned? ( I dont want to touch the wired setup) any way to avoid assigning them again?
Any help and thoughts welcome.