?
Solved

Cannot Open Database requested by login in Reporting Services 2008

Posted on 2009-04-13
5
Medium Priority
?
597 Views
Last Modified: 2012-08-13
Hello
I cannot open a report on my reporting server using the crediential for a user "reportadmin".
User is memeber of all the SQL Server groups (see attached pdf)

I am getting the follwoing error:
Cannot open database "dbname" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'machinename\user'
user.pdf
0
Comment
Question by:saleemz
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 27

Expert Comment

by:Chris Luttrell
ID: 24135320
Make sure that the user that you are connecting with in the data source that is deployed to the Reprt Server has proper connect privlidges to your database "dbname".  This error looks like what I have seen when a new or changed datasource has not been granted the right access.
0
 

Author Comment

by:saleemz
ID: 24135725
what access do I need to give him and how do I do that?
I am new to reporting services. I will appreciate your assistance.
0
 
LVL 27

Accepted Solution

by:
Chris Luttrell earned 2000 total points
ID: 24141896
Use Management Studio to connect to the database that the reports will run against.  Under Security>Logins> Right click on the login that is connecting from the Data Source and select Properties.  Select the User Mapping page and make sure the database is selected up top and whatever roles they need to be members of on the bottom.  We alway like to create a database role to assign logins to and then grant access to stored procedures (Prefered) or tables and views to get to the data.  That makes it easier to add other logins to get all reports or add a new stored procedure to be available all reporting users.
0
 

Author Comment

by:saleemz
ID: 24143674
Thanks its all working now. The problem was that the users were not assigned (not even added to the users list). Now I know how it works. We need to make sure that the users are added to the database and then assign them with approprate roles.
Thanks again for your help.
0
 
LVL 27

Expert Comment

by:Chris Luttrell
ID: 24144252
Your welcome, glad all is working now.
0

Featured Post

Want to be a Web Developer? Get Certified Today!

Enroll in the Certified Web Development Professional course package to learn HTML, Javascript, and PHP. Build a solid foundation to work toward your dream job!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Naughty Me. While I was changing the database name from DB1 to DB_PROD1 (yep it's not real database name ^v^), I changed the database name and notified my application fellows that I did it. They turn on the application, and everything is working. A …
Introduction In the following article I’ll be discussing and demonstrating several different ways of how images can be put on a report. I’m using SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 R2 CTP, more precisely version 10.50.1352.12, but the methods ex…
Michael from AdRem Software outlines event notifications and Automatic Corrective Actions in network monitoring. Automatic Corrective Actions are scripts, which can automatically run upon discovery of a certain undesirable condition in your network.…
In this brief tutorial Pawel from AdRem Software explains how you can quickly find out which services are running on your network, or what are the IP addresses of servers responsible for each service. Software used is freeware NetCrunch Tools (https…

770 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question