I recently setup a Windows 2008 Server box running Active Directory and WSS 3.0. I currently have a few sites running, but I'd like to start offering SharePoint hosting as a side-business. These SharePoint sites would need to have completely different permissions, people pickers, etc. from other SharePoint sites on the server. Each SharePoint site could not know that any other SharePoint site even existed on the server. Furthermore, users would need to only have access to the SharePoint site and not to the server box via RDC or any other access method.
1) I'm assuming I can separate each SharePoint site by creating a new 'Web Application' within WSS 3.0 Central Administration Site. Once I do that, I can then create a 'Site Collection'. I'm assuming that I'll need to do both of these for each unique "client" I have. Can someone verify that this is correct?
2) How do I add a new "Site Owner" for the aforementioned Site Collection? These "Site Owners" would not have the same email address as my Active Directory domain so I'm a little confused as to how this can be accomplished. Furthermore, Site Owners could not have access to the server box or any other SharePoint sites.
3) How can I enable the "Site Owners" to add users for their SharePoint site? Again, these users would not have the same email address as the Active Directory domain.
4) How do I secure the server and ensure that users to the SharePoint sites do not have access to the server via RDC or other access methods?
5) How do I ensure that users only have access to their SharePoint site, People Picker, etc. They cannot have access to other client's sites, people pickers, etc.
Thank you all for your assistance in answering these questions.