Duplicate service Principal Name (SPN) in SBS 2003 server, How do you remove the duplicate (the right) entry?
Posted on 2009-04-15
Hi guys / ...girls
I have a duplicate SPN entry in active directory that is interfering with Backup Exec / Maybe?
The reason I say that is because with in Backup Exec, under the "Alerts" tab, it complains about the duplicate SPN names, and with in Event Viewer of Windows SBS it gives you a the following event ID:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: KDC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11
Time: 11:56:12 AM
There are multiple accounts with name MSSQLSvc/server.domainname.com:1433 of type DS_SERVICE_PRINCIPAL_NAME.
Now, I have two questions:
1) Would backup Exec stop working / not backing up because of a duplicate SPN's seeing that it has the exact error message with in Backup Exec alerts. (Because it aint working, Backup Exec that is, but what is new)
2) How do I get rid of the duplicate SPNs, and if you do find the duplicate SPN, which one is the right one to remove?
What I have done:
- I have research the problem and some white papers say it is as simple as duplicate computer names on the network, and that you have to take them of the domain and rejoin them as a different name, but what happens if it is your domain controller that is being mentioned in the error / duplicate name being mentioned in the error message?
- I have cleared all DNS's, scavanged stale records, cleared Wins, re-did DHCP and cleared all ARP caches.
- I downloaded Windows 2003 tools and installed it, ran LDP, connected to the active directory data base, and queried the duplicate SPN name, I really dont see duplicate SPN names.
- I tried the Microsoft solution just by restarting the server that did not work.
- Found a script to query duplicate SPN names, opend the output in Wordpad, searched for the exacp SPN and it found the following exact name entry twice:
So, if you find a way to remove it, which one do you remove?
Thanks for all the reading, any help would greatly be appreciated,