Internet Connection Problem - Win XP SP3
Posted on 2009-04-15
I have 2 PCs connected to Broadband at home. Previously both working fine and able to access the internet no problems. Now one PC suddenly will not connect. I did not make any config changes.
Connection: Broadband DSL with a Belkin G+ MIMO Modem/Router incl 4 port Switch. I am using wired ethernet and not using the Wireless.
PCs - Both PCs running Windows XP. One is a laptop and works OK. The other is a Tower and is now not connecting.
When connecting to the Belkin Modem/Router in Admin mode it shows both devices attached and says internet connection status is OK. The laptop connects fine and accesses internet and VPN connections OK.
Symptoms: Desktop PC: Internet explorer will not connect to web pages and Outlook express fails to find the pop and mail server. When I run diagnostics and look at the log it is basically saying that it cannot resolve the domain names.
Yet the ISP DNS Server settings are correctly setup in the Router and works OK for the laptop (and was working OK previously on the desktop also)
Things tried so far:
- Powering off router and PC and restarting - did not work
- Swapping internet cables and connections on PC (PC has 2 ethernet sockets) - did not work
- Disabling and re-enabling internet connections in Network Connections view - did not work
- Checking hardware in Control Panel/System/Device Manager - all OK
- I tried specifying the domain name servers in the TCP/IP settings - it still wont connect
- Reset IE setting to "factory defaults" - did not work
Any further ideas welcome!