Word Hangs Opening Particular Files
Posted on 2009-04-15
I have a user which is having trouble opening particular Word documents from a file server. Most documents will open fine but for some reason Word will simply hang when trying to open some files. It sits there trying to open it for about 5 minutes and Word is not usable. Sometimes it will eventually open.
The documents in question will open correctly on other machines.
Things i have tried to resolve this issue but have made no difference:
- copying the documents to the local machine
- running detect and repair
- Recreating the Normal.dot template
- Re-installing Office 2003 (note that i did restore Office settings after this...)
- Patching Office and Windows
- Uninstalling printer drivers and scanner drivers.
- Talking with Level 1 Microsoft support who said it was a hardware fault before i finished my first sentence... I hung up
OS: XP Pro SP3
App: Office 2003 Pro SP3
Any other ideas as to what it could be?