This is probably an old old query, but I can't find an answer.
We have a single ( pain in the ass) user who insists on wanting to use a blackberry. He wants to use the Vodafone BIS account. This is failing to connect.
I have Exchange 2003 setup for HTTPS/RPC, Webmail is fully accessible.
The ISA is configured to allow external access to OWA and HTTPS/RPC.
What am I missing, I certainly ensured I have checked the info on the BIS account and have tried a few other formats for the information its needs.
I have disabled the ISA and the BIS does try and authenticate (failing but at least its trying)
Hope someone can help.