[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now


Autodiscover and activesync are not working after migrating from server2003 exchange 2007 to server 2008 exchange 2007 sp1

Posted on 2009-04-19
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-06
I have the same problem as this guy in this post: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_23509930.html

Did any of you manage to figure it out? I have the multi name certificate, rpc is finally working after many hours of digging the web. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Error when trying to run the autodiscover test:
 When contacting https://mydomian/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml received the error The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Configuration Error 
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 
Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (D:\program files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Owa\web.config line 41)
Source Error: 
Line 39: 		<!-- OWA HTTP Modules -->
Line 40: 		<httpModules>
Line 41: 			<add type="Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaModule, Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa" name="OwaModule" />
Line 42: 		</httpModules>
Line 43: 
Source File: D:\program files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Owa\web.config    Line: 41 
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3074; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3074

Open in new window

Question by:siltech
LVL 13

Expert Comment

ID: 24178977
Go to the below mentioned link and run the tests
Post back with the output

Author Comment

ID: 24178982
I did, I m far beyond runnig tests now, I already KNOW I have a problem and the tests dont give my answers.

Expert Comment

ID: 24179959
To resolve the "The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error." issue, try recreating the Autodiscover virtual directory.

# Remove-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory -Identity ""
# New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory

Expert Comment

ID: 24183124

i have configured redirection on the Default Web Site to point to


Resolved issue by checking the checkbox for "A directory below URL entered" which
is found on the property page of the Default Web Site where you enable redirection.

Accepted Solution

siltech earned 0 total points
ID: 24184390
Ok, its a little complicated but I solved it finally:

the ASP.NET error was because the classic mode was used and thats the way it SHOULD be although the intergated mode is what the tell you to use with iis7...but we let the exchange decide and it should be classic. For some reason the iis didnt like it and kept throwing that annoying error. So i thought ok lets do it with integrated..I got a new error 500.22 it means if you want to use integrated you need to migrate your web.config with appcmd. Did it, got a new error 500.19 cannont creat duplicate entry, means in a parent .config file the entry excists. You have two choices: delete the duplicate entries at parent level or child level. the message was gone but if you tried to log into your owa account all you got were your folders, no mails in the middle pane.
So I unistalled the iis and the cas and reinstalled them ( for the second time) and everything started working again. Tried to work in integrated mode after migrating the web.config file: error cannot handle the request in owa with the folders showing on the side. So back to classic and no ASP errors. Thank you for your help and I hope it helps others too.

Featured Post

Important Lessons on Recovering from Petya

In their most recent webinar, Skyport Systems explores ways to isolate and protect critical databases to keep the core of your company safe from harm.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Want to know how to use Exchange Server Eseutil command? Go through this article as it gives you the know-how.
Exchange administrators are always vigilant about Exchange crashes and disasters that are possible any time. It is quite essential to identify the symptoms of a possible Exchange issue and be prepared with a proper recovery plan. There are multiple…
This tutorial will show how to configure a new Backup Exec 2012 server and move an existing database to that server with the use of the BEUtility. Install Backup Exec 2012 on the new server and apply all of the latest hotfixes and service packs. The…
how to add IIS SMTP to handle application/Scanner relays into office 365.
Suggested Courses

829 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question