Posted on 2009-04-21
Hi friends !
I am working as system and network administrator in an educational institute. Currently we are facing problem of slow internet connectivity and one expert from outside analyzed our network and told us that there are too many NETBIOS broadcasts in your network.
Just 2 hours before, we had following servers:
1. Routing and Remote Access Server (For Routing and NATTING and Caching)
2. Domain Controller + DNS + DHCP Server on the same machine. Our internal domain name is something like xxx.local
Now, I feel that our users are not interested in Domain Environment and even the IT staffs are not taking care of domain rules and policies. For example, if a PC named pc1.xxx.local is replaced or repaired, then IT staff person doesnt give the same name to the replaced pc and that pc remains in workgroup. The same way, end users have been given their domain user accounts but they are not using them.
In this situation, I decided and removed DC and DNS as well (Though I have backup). Now, the only servers remaining are:
1. Routing and Remote Access Server
2. DHCP Server that distribute IPs in range (172.20.0.101 172.20.255.254) and Router address as 172.20.0.1 and DNS Server addresses of ISP DNS Server.
I am also planning to stop using this Microsoft based RRAS Server and replace it with OpenSUSE 11 Proxy and Firewall.
My doubts are&because I dont have any DNS Server internally,
1. All internet browsers requests for resolving website IP addresses is going directly to ISP DNS Servers. WILL THERE BE ANY NEGATIVE IMPACT ON NETWORK.
2. And local resources can not be resolved by their names. Though, I dont have any file server or any server that needs name resolution, yet I dont know whether DNS is required here or not.
Please tell me if you can foresee some problems that may come in future due to NO DNS SERVER in my environment. Also tell me how to stop the NETBIOS broadcasts ?