When I try to install MySQL server (no matter if 5.0 or 5.1) I get the error:
"Could not start the service MySQL"
I have earlier had 5.0.45 on the machine, and I just wanted to upgrade it.
I have tried many things and searched & tried a lot of suggestions around on different foras.
This is the different tthings I have tried, so far unsuccessfull:
* stopped webites using the db, in IIS
* uninstalled MySQL Server 5.0.45
* installed MySQL Server 5.0.77
* installed MySQL Server 5.1.34
* uninstalled & reinstalled 5.0.77
* uninstalled & reinstalled 5.1.34
* Used the Server Instance Wizard to uninstall / remove setups
* Used the Server Instance Wizard to install / setup
* removed services MySQL & MySQL5.1 in Computer Management -> Services
* searched the whole registry throug for MySQL keys and deleted them all!
* restarted webserver
All the above done sevaral times and in different order!
I really dont know what to do..
Each time I try, its stops for a short while when its trying to start the service, and then it puts a red cross next to the "start service" in the setup wizard.