Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium


Microsoft Excel has not been installed for the current user Please run setup to install this application

Posted on 2009-04-27
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-06
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I have a user account in a domain that's got me scratching my head. All of a sudden she got the message: "Microsoft Excel has not been installed for the current user Please run setup to install this application." This happens on all of the Office Apps. I've seen solutions to this online but they don't fit the criteria for this issue. The user currently has Adminrights on the domain, and when she logs in on another PC in the domain she has no problem running Office apps. When I log in as another user on her PC I can run all of the Office Apps. When I restart her PC and log in as her, the first time I fire up Word, or Excel, etc. I get a macro security error saying the user of the Administrator did not install the features you're trying to use. (Something like that) After I click OK I get the same error as stated above. I keep going in circles and am stumped. It has something to do with the registry somewhere, because I've repaired, re-installed and ran updates three times now and it still doesn't work. I even renamed her profile and logged in with a fresh one and still got the error. I hope being this thorough helps you.
Question by:mikeg1265
LVL 19

Accepted Solution

MrLonandB earned 2000 total points
ID: 24253410
If you haven't already, take a look at the opa11.dat file and try giving her explicit permissions.

The file should be in a path similar to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\ and you may have to go into the folder options and choose to show hidden files and clear the -- hide extensions for known file types - box.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 31575153
Hello and thanks it worked.

Expert Comment

ID: 25054706
I have the same problem and so far haven't been able to find a solution.  None of the following actions have worked:

- repaired office
- reinstalled office
- the opa11.dat permissions are fine
- replaced mso.dll with an older version from a backup

Nothing works.  The only solutions seems to format my computer and reinstall XP + Office entirely.

Before I do this while cutting my veins with a chainsaw, can someone please help?

Thank you,

Featured Post

Become an Android App Developer

Ready to kick start your career in 2018? Learn how to build an Android app in January’s Course of the Month and open the door to new opportunities.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Currently, there is an issue with being able to copy values from an external application to a dropdown list in Project Web Access (PWA).  The standard copy and paste methods don't seem to work properly. Here is a way to accomplish this task to s…
In this post, we will learn to set up the Group Naming policy and will see how it is going to impact the Display Name and the Email addresses of the Group.
This is my first video review of Microsoft Bookings, I will be doing a part two with a bit more information, but wanted to get this out to you folks.
Visualize your data even better in Access queries. Given a date and a value, this lesson shows how to compare that value with the previous value, calculate the difference, and display a circle if the value is the same, an up triangle if it increased…
Suggested Courses

564 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question