Wiki, forum or both?
Posted on 2009-04-28
I am developing a website for attorneys belonging to a certain professional organization.
Part of the website (subsite) will be the exchange of documents, business addresses (which will be searched for and need to be shown by date added), definitions of oft-used legal terms, and questions asked by newer attorneys (answered by more seasoned attorneys). This subsite will need to be restricted to only the member attorneys, but any of them should be able to upload documents, add/change business addresses, add to the list of definitions (and abbrev's) and respond to questions.
The solution would need to be PHP/MySQL, attractive and secure.
If the solution includes a forum, the forum choice is MyBB.
However, we are also considering a wiki subsite.
Having never used a wiki (though I am a quick learner), I am unsure of which wiki solution would accomplish my goals or even if a wiki would be more appropriate than forum software, or if I should use both, with MyBB used for the questions and a wiki for the addresses, documents & definitions.
It would be great if the solution was easily ported/sized to mobile devices.
It is possible that a few thousand attorneys will participate.
(1) Would a wiki be the best solution for my needs?
(2) Would a forum/bulletin board be the best solution for my needs?
(3) Would a combination of the above 2 be the best solution for my needs?
(4) Is there a solution not yet mentioned, but which you would suggest?
(5) If a wiki is part of the solution you suggest, which wiki would you recommend and why?
(6) Any concerns which I should consider or other suggestions/?