• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 588
  • Last Modified:

Exchange address book sync error post 2007 upgarde

I have just upgraded my exchange installation to a new server with exchange 2007.

I am now getting an error as follows: -

! Task 'Microsoft exchange' reported error (x800401F) : 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found.'

When I try and synchronise the Offline address book

Any ideas
Cheers
Jo


ex-err.jpg
0
Jo Cox
Asked:
Jo Cox
  • 7
  • 4
  • 3
1 Solution
 
Rajith EnchiparambilOffice 365 & Exchange ArchitectCommented:
0
 
Rajith EnchiparambilOffice 365 & Exchange ArchitectCommented:
0
 
Jo CoxAuthor Commented:
Theses seem to be solutions to a problem with just one PC. This is affecting all of my client computers so is a server side error I think
0
Efficient way to get backups off site to Azure

This user guide provides instructions on how to deploy and configure both a StoneFly Scale Out NAS Enterprise Cloud Drive virtual machine and Veeam Cloud Connect in the Microsoft Azure Cloud.

 
Rajith EnchiparambilOffice 365 & Exchange ArchitectCommented:
See whether the registry edit in my first post resolves the issue on a PC. If it does, run a group policy script to apply it for all machines.
0
 
Jo CoxAuthor Commented:
Nope - same problem.

Confusing this as OWA clients can see the address book so its got to be there somewhere.


0
 
MesthaCommented:
OWA accesses the Address book in a completely different way to the clients. Therefore the fact that OWA works means nothing.

The error is cannot find. Usual cause is that the OAB public folders were not replicated across correctly. If you are on exclusively Outlook 2007 then you can switch to web distribution, then there are other causes of that error there.

Therefore you need to confirm

- whether you are exclusive Outlook 2007.
- which distribution method you are using
- whether the system folders were replicating using the guide from Microsoft.

Simon.
0
 
Jo CoxAuthor Commented:
Well it seems to be working miraculously but I don't understand. Attached is a jpg of some info.

I created a new OAB called (originally OAB) and enabled web and Public folder distribution and made this the default. The original default OAB will not allow me to enable web dist as it is greyed out.
These exist in e:\exchange\clientaccess\exchangeoab

IIS shows the OAB virtual dir to be e:\exchange\clientaccess\oab and after last night there is a folder now that represents the address book that I must be downloading as this wasn't there yesterday.

On my client if I Ctrl - Right click the Outlook icon in the system tray then test email config you can see that the OAB URL : Public folder is set - which is not what I was expecting.

So I am confused as to where the public folder is stored, delivered from and how to both OWA and outlook clients.

There are a lot of threads on this subject on the internet that just peter out, if any one can shed some light on what is actually happening that may prove a useful service to all us frustrated exchange admins


ex-err2.jpg
0
 
MesthaCommented:
OWA doesn't use the OAB, so as I wrote above, the fact that it works in OWA is of no consequence at all and should be ignored.

Your clients are using public folders as the distribution method. Therefore the same point I made above still applies - do you have a public folder store, and are you exclusively Outlook 2007?

Simon.
0
 
Jo CoxAuthor Commented:
We do, it is mounted, and our clients are Outlook 2007
Jo
0
 
MesthaCommented:
Does the OAB folder structure exist in that public folder store?
Is the Exchange 2003 server still in existence?

Simon.
0
 
Jo CoxAuthor Commented:
Yes I believe so as you can see from the jpg, also if my Outlook client is getting updates from the Public folder I guess there must be an OAB with content.

If I try and run an update of the folder though it will fail (see jpg).

No I have got rid of the 2003 server so all roles exist on a single ex 2007 box with 64bit 2008.
Thanks for your continued help Simon

Jo
ex-err3.jpg
0
 
MesthaCommented:
Check the properties of the OAB folder structure and ensure that at least one replica is listed for each folder. The error would tend to indicate that is not the case which would explain the error in the original question.

Simon.
0
 
Jo CoxAuthor Commented:
Not Sure I know what you mean but I have drilled down into the OAB in the public folders and they all look like they have a replication set up (see screenshot).

If however I select one and request an update I get

MapiExecutionNoReplicaAvailable: StartConteReplicatioFailed.

So looks like I haven't

Can you advise how to solve this.

Jo
ex-err4.jpg
0
 
Jo CoxAuthor Commented:
My problem went away but thanks to Simon for his support even though we didn't manage to track down the problem.
0

Featured Post

NEW Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows

Backup and recover physical and cloud-based servers and workstations, as well as endpoint devices that belong to remote users. Avoid downtime and data loss quickly and easily for Windows-based physical or public cloud-based workloads!

  • 7
  • 4
  • 3
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now