Acrobat 9 PDDoc Object Not Created for Some Users (VB6 App)

Posted on 2009-05-01
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-11-25
We have an old VB6 app that uses the Acrobat Type Library to access and manipulate the PDDoc object in pdf files. It has run for years using Acrobat 6. We upgraded to Acrobat 9, and the code worked fine on my PC, and when I installed it on users' workstations.

It also presents a view of the pdf using the AcroPDF dll (was pdf.ocx under Acrobat 6), which works fine.

I installed both the Acrobat 9 and our app on our Terminal Server (through Add/Remove Programs). I logged in as administrator, with Domain Admin rights.

For users accessing it through theTerminal Server, it does not work uless they are signed with the same login. It doesn't even work for me when I log in with my own name, and my login also has Domain Admin rights. (There is one other user it does work for, and he and I have the same rights!)

We then uninstalled Acrobat 9, went back to 6, went back to the original app, and now it is doing the same thing under Acrobat 6, which it had never done before. So something was different after the Acrobat 9 install, and is still giving us problems we never had.

They get an error: "object variable or with block variable not set".

The app creates an instance of a dll we wrote (in VB6) and :calls a method:
Set AcroInvoice = New SRSClaimsUI_Equity.AcrobatInvoice
TDBNDeletePageFrom.MaxValue = AcroInvoice.GetPageCount(m_strLoadFileName)

The AcroInvoice.GetPageCount method creates the PDDoc object and then just looks for the page count:
Set pdTarget = CreateObject("AcroExch.PDDoc")
GetPageCount = pdTarget.GetNumPages

It is either blowing up at the call to the dll method, or when the dll tries to call GetNumPages.

I assume that it either can't get to the dll (it's in the same folder and is registered by the set program, or can't get to Acrobat. But it can show the pdf with AcroPDF (on another form), so it does access Acrobat.

This is a critical application. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Question by:bobhwest
1 Comment

Accepted Solution

bobhwest earned 0 total points
ID: 24339874
We found the solution. There is a profile file in Terminal Server that controls each user's access. We deleted that file and the other users were able to use the system.

Featured Post

What does it mean to be "Always On"?

Is your cloud always on? With an Always On cloud you won't have to worry about downtime for maintenance or software application code updates, ensuring that your bottom line isn't affected.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Communication between departments might not happen in two different languages, but they do exist in two different worlds. With different targets and performance goals the same phrase often means something completely different to each party. Learn ho…
Successful collaboration among team members is essential for the growth of your business. When employees work together on projects, share ideas and communicate effectively they get better results.
In this third video of the Xpdf series, we discuss and demonstrate the PDFtoText utility, which converts PDF files into plain text files. Download and install the software.: You may have already downloaded and installed the Xpdf tools while watching…
In a question here at Experts Exchange (https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29062564/Adobe-acrobat-reader-DC.html), a member asked how to create a signature in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (the free Reader product, not the paid, full Acrobat produ…
Suggested Courses

831 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question