[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 570
  • Last Modified:

Setting the CN in AD to a strCN value instead of a specific CN

I created an .hta app with vbscript to be used as a help desk application to create accounts in an active directory.  I've posted a large chunk of the script below, enough to hopefully help make sense out of this.  The script works correctly, but I get a nasty error that I really don't like.  I could live with this, but this application is used by some staff who would call every time they see an error box.  The error came after I realized that I needed to set the option that wouldn't require the password to be changed on first login.  So I added the lines:

Set objUser = GetObject("LDAP://CN=(strCN),OU=Public Internet Users,DC=mydomain,DC=localhost")

objUser.Put "pwdLastSet", CLng(-1)

The script error I receive is that the object isn't found on the server.  The script runs correctly and the user is created without the need to change their password.  If I set the CN to the exact name that is being created, it works without an error.  I'm sure it's right in my face and I'm making a newbie mistake, but I don't know what to set my LDAP://CN= value to in order to use the strCN input from the text boxes.  Please help!  Thanks      
<script type="text/vbscript">
Sub CreateAccount
strFinitial = TextBox0.Value
If strFinitial = "" Then
MsgBox "You're missing required fields.",64, "Alert"
Exit Sub
End If
strFirst = TextBox1.Value
If strFirst = "" Then
MsgBox "You're missing required fields",64, "Alert"
Exit Sub
End If
strLast = TextBox2.Value
If strLast = "" Then
MsgBox "You're missing required fields",64, "Alert"
Exit Sub
End If
strPassword = TextBox3.Value
If strPassword = "" Then
MsgBox "You're missing required fields",64, "Alert"
Exit Sub
End If
strExpire = TextBox4.Value
If strPassword = "" Then
MsgBox "You're missing required fields",64, "Alert"
Exit Sub
End If
strDisplay = strFirst & " " & strLast
strCN = strDisplay
strUser = LCASE (strFinitial & "" & strLast)
Const ADS_UF_ACCOUNTDISABLE = 2
Const ADS_PROPERTY_UPDATE = 2
Set objOU = GetObject("LDAP://OU=Public Internet Users,dc=mydomain,dc=localhost")
Set objUser = objOU.Create("User", "cn=" & strDisplay)
objUser.Put "sAMAccountName", LCase(strUser)
objUser.Put "userPrincipalName", strUser & "@mydomain.localhost"
objUser.Put "givenName", strFirst
objUser.Put "sn", strLast
objUser.Put "displayName", strDisplay
objUser.SetInfo
objUser.SetPassword(strPassword)
objUser.accountdisabled = False
objUser.AccountExpirationDate = (strExpire)
objUser.SetInfo
Set objUser = GetObject("LDAP://CN=(strCN),OU=Public Internet Users,DC=mydomain,DC=localhost")
objUser.Put "pwdLastSet", CLng(-1)
objUser.SetInfo
If strInitial <> "" Then
objUser.Put "initials", strInitial
End If
objUser.Put "sn", strLast
objUser.Put "displayName", strDisplay
objUser.SetPassword "Passw0rd"
objUser.Put "pwdLastSet", 0
intUAC = objUser.Get("userAccountControl")
If intUAC And ADS_UF_ACCOUNTDISABLE Then
objUser.Put"userAccountControl", intUAC Xor ADS_UF_ACCOUNTDISABLE
End If
objUser.SetInfo
End Sub

Open in new window

0
tcmh_65483
Asked:
tcmh_65483
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
usachrisk1983Commented:
Assuming strCN holds the value you want, you'll want to change:

Set objUser = GetObject("LDAP://CN=(strCN),OU=Public Internet Users,DC=mydomain,DC=localhost")

to

Set objUser = GetObject("LDAP://CN=" & strCN &",OU=Public Internet Users,DC=mydomain,DC=localhost")
0
 
tcmh_65483Author Commented:
That got rid of the error, but the change password at first logon is enabled again.  A also swapped out strCN with strDisplay and strFirst & strLast in an attempt for some dumb luck, but no go.
0
 
usachrisk1983Commented:
You're first setting it to -1 (don't prompt user) on line #46, and then setting it to 0 on line #54.

Try adding this code after your CONST statements.  I removed your multiple SetInfo statements and replaced with just one.  You were also setting the sn and displayname twice which isn't necessary.  You'll setup all your parameters and then set them all at once.

Also, you have two setPassword statements, you should decide which one you want to use.



Set objOU = GetObject("LDAP://OU=Public Internet Users,dc=mydomain,dc=localhost")
Set objUser = objOU.Create("User", "cn=" & strDisplay)
 
objUser.Put "sAMAccountName", LCase(strUser)
objUser.Put "userPrincipalName", strUser & "@mydomain.localhost"
objUser.Put "givenName", strFirst
objUser.Put "sn", strLast
objUser.Put "displayName", strDisplay
objUser.Put "pwdLastSet", CLng(-1)
 
objUser.Put "sn", strLast
objUser.Put "displayName", strDisplay
 
If strInitial <> "" Then
	objUser.Put "initials", strInitial
End If
 
If intUAC And ADS_UF_ACCOUNTDISABLE Then
	objUser.Put"userAccountControl", intUAC Xor ADS_UF_ACCOUNTDISABLE
End If
 
objUser.SetInfo
 
objUser.SetPassword "Passw0rd"
objUser.SetPassword(strPassword)
 
objUser.accountdisabled = False
objUser.AccountExpirationDate = (strExpire)

Open in new window

0
 
tcmh_65483Author Commented:
Heh, I was waiting for my messy and jumbled script to come into this.  That took care of it, I neglected to notice the password setting at 0 in a later line.  Also, thanks for pointing out my other duplicates.  Thanks!
0

Featured Post

The 14th Annual Expert Award Winners

The results are in! Meet the top members of our 2017 Expert Awards. Congratulations to all who qualified!

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now