Can't RDP into the server
Posted on 2009-05-04
I tried installing Terminal Services from Elusiva on a Server running Server 2003. They offer it a little cheaper and I was happy with their Terminal Services pro on Xp which provides a good solution for small business.
I didn't work out too well for Server 2003 standard however so I uninstalled it. The config is set to remote desktop for administration but when I try to log in (domain admin) I get:
To log on to this remote computer, you must have Terminal Server User Access Permissions on this computer. By default, members of the Remote Desktop group have these permissions. If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group or another group that has these permissions, or if the Remote Desktop User group does not have these permissions, you must be granted these permissions manually.
1. Run Add/Remove Programs (run "appwiz.cpl")
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components (Alt-W)
3. Uncheck Terminal Server
4. Press Next>.
5. Follow instructions, including rebooting.
6. Open System control panel applet (run "sysdm.cpl")
7. Click Remote tab.
8. Check Enable Remote Desktop on this computer. (because removing Terminal Server disables this)
9. Click Select Remote Users...
Everything I can find says that Terminal Services is in admin mode but still I get that error one would get if a user was not in remote desktop group and it was in applications mode. Is there a key I need to check or something?