Windows 2000 DNS not returning correct address

I have a Windows 2000 server running DNS.  I have the DNS setup to redirect my website addresses to a local address (10.1.1.x) instead of the public IP.  I did this because it doesn't work to "go out nd come back in" to get to my websites. (Is this true? or am I not doing something correctly?)  

My DHCP will push DNS entries to my users with my internal DNS server listed first then my two external ISP DNS servers listed second and third.  This works 95% of the time.  The other 5% of the time, my DNS server doesn't appear to give the internal IP address for my websites.  It would appear that my DNS isn't replying and then the request hits the external DNS servers to get external IP address.

Is this a Win2k bug? or do I not have it configured correctly?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
DivOphAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
DivOphConnect With a Mentor Author Commented:
Can I change my DHCP to only have my internal DNS (10.1.1.100) and then configure my internal DNS to forward to my ISP DNS when it doesn't have an answer?

Thanks
Doug
0
 
Chris DentConnect With a Mentor PowerShell DeveloperCommented:

It's because you cannot absolutely control which of the DNS servers your clients will use when multiple are configured. As such they'll sometimes gets the public IP for the web site instead of asking your own DNS server.

It should be noted that if this is an AD domain your configuration is far from ideal. Clients should only be configured with DNS servers that can answer for the AD domain, generally only Domain Controllers. Additional DNS servers in there will cause authentication failures, policy application failures, and so on.

I advise that you reconfigure you clients so that they only use the DC for DNS. If you have more than one DC all the better.

Chris
0
 
DivOphAuthor Commented:
Thanks Chris...Let me give some more info and see where this goes.  We are primarily a netware shop.(don't laugh)  I have 2 Windows servers that do the email and websites.  I originally setup the windows server with DNS and DHCP because it was easiest option.  My Windows servers are not setup with a DC.

Would you setup Netware with DHCP and DNS since it's our primary authentication means? or would you make one of the windows servers a DC and try to get NDS to talk to Windows DC?  (I think there is software to do this or even NDS for windows)  Most of my users authenticate to NDS and only a few need file access to the windows servers.

Having my windows servers and my netware servers "meshed" together and talking isn't a priority.  So would having NDS and a DC running on the same network be OK if integration of the two wasn't necessary? and if so, does it matter which "network" handles the DHCP and DNS?

Thanks for all your time explaining this...

Doug


0
Will You Be GDPR Compliant by 5/28/2018?

GDPR? That's a regulation for the European Union. But, if you collect data from customers or employees within the EU, then you need to know about GDPR and make sure your organization is compliant by May 2018. Check out our preparation checklist to make sure you're on track today!

 
DivOphAuthor Commented:
Chris - With the knowledge that Neware is dying, would you focus on keeping the DHCP and DNS on a Windows box and creating a DC.  This is the way I am thinking since there is a good chance we will become a Windows house in the next few years.

Doug
0
 
Chris DentConnect With a Mentor PowerShell DeveloperCommented:

I don't think it really matters which handles DNS / DHCP, as long as they provide you with consistent responses.

I have almost no experience with NetWare, so I can't really comment on it's current state. However, if you are moving to a Windows based Infrastructure it would make sense to shift services over.

I believe the only reason you're suffering here is that clients are occasionally asking the other DNS servers listed, those provide a response with the public IP then the client caches it. If you want to see if that is the case you could run "ipconfig /displaydns" on a client experiencing the problem, that'll show you what it's remembered.

Chris
0
 
DivOphAuthor Commented:
Single DNS fixed the problem.
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.