Solved

Goup Policy Problems

Posted on 2009-05-06
7
971 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-06
I'm currently configuring a new Server 2003 box.  Roles include DC, DHCP, DNS, AD, File, Print, ect.  Nothing special.  I have a test computer Running Vista connected to the new Domain working perfectly.  Startup scripts for mapping drives works, deployed printers, permissions all work correctly.  I just switched over a Windows XP SP3 box and it is not utilizing the GP.

When i run gpupdate /force on the XPSP3 box it says it completed successfully, however when i run gpresult, i get the error "the policy object does not exist"  DNS is manually configured for the DC first, however it is currently not using DHCP.  Thoughts?  I've been fighting this thing all morning.

On a separate computer running Windows XP, it mounts the mapped drive, however it does not deploy the printers.  The printers are deployed in the computer config, not user.
0
Comment
Question by:Bill-T
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 3
7 Comments
 
LVL 22

Expert Comment

by:Syed Mutahir Ali
ID: 24318427
Hi Bill,
check this link out : http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversation.aspx?messageid=33618307&threadid=33618306
I am pasting here as well :
run pushprinterconnections with the log enabled

Description: Reads Deployed Printer Connection settings from Group Policy,
and deploys/removes printer connections as needed.

Syntax:     PushPrinterConnections
Parameters: -log

If -log is specified on the command line:
A per user debug log file will be written to %temp%.
A per machine debug log will be written to %windir%\temp.

This utility is for use in machine startup or user logon scripts, and should
not be run from the command line. See your Windo
ws Server 2003 R2 documentation for details
Another link at technet is what I followed for a successful deployment :
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722179.aspx
Hope this helps
Kind regards
0
 

Author Comment

by:Bill-T
ID: 24319321
I cannot seem to get the pushprinterconnections.exe to work.  I added the -log in the parameter box, however i don't see the log file.  

The major problem however is the computer that gives me the error "the policy object does not exist"

Any ideas for that?
0
 

Author Comment

by:Bill-T
ID: 24320171
When i do nslookup on the machine that gives me the error "the policy object does not exist" it looks for the old domain DC, 192.168.1.2 while it should be looking for 192.168.1.5

Anything i can do to change that?
0
Edgartown IT Case Study

Learn about Edgartown's quest to ensure the safety and security of the entire town's employee and citizen data. Read the case study!

 
LVL 22

Expert Comment

by:Syed Mutahir Ali
ID: 24321977
try ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

also, check on the network card itself if there are any settings under advanced and see if their is any DNS listed ?

also while you are at the command prompt do a " arp -d " wthout quotes


0
 

Author Comment

by:Bill-T
ID: 24337847
There is no dns settings in the network adapter.  I have tried the ipconfig /flushdns as well as the arp -d with no results. It seems it's still trying to contact the old DC via 192.168.1.2 instead of the new 192.168.1.5.  If i do a fresh install of XP on a computer, everything works.  However if i try to leave the old domain and join the new domain, these problems show up.  

On 3 seperate XP SP3 boxes, it hangs at "getting SID information" then says "the policy object does not exist"

Any ideas?
0
 
LVL 22

Expert Comment

by:Syed Mutahir Ali
ID: 24338921
Hi Bill,
Open up a command prompt on the problem machine and type the followin commands :
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reboot the machine
Make sure its set to obtain ip and dns settings from your dc.
Hope this works or we will dive deeper.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
Bill-T earned 0 total points
ID: 24340589
Apparently the problem was switching straight from the old domain to the new domain.  If i leave the domain and join a workgroup, reboot, then join the new domain, all problems are gone.  Thanks for everyone's help.
0

Featured Post

PeopleSoft Has Never Been Easier

PeopleSoft Adoption Made Smooth & Simple!

On-The-Job Training Is made Intuitive & Easy With WalkMe's On-Screen Guidance Tool.  Claim Your Free WalkMe Account Now

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Organizations create, modify, and maintain huge amounts of data to help their businesses earn money and generally function.  Typically every network user within an organization has a bit of disk space to store in process items and personal files.   …
I've always wanted to allow a user to have a printer no matter where they login. The steps below will show you how to achieve just that. In this Article I'll show how to deploy printers automatically with group policy and then using security fil…
There are cases when e.g. an IT administrator wants to have full access and view into selected mailboxes on Exchange server, directly from his own email account in Outlook or Outlook Web Access. This proves useful when for example administrator want…
In this video, viewers are given an introduction to using the Windows 10 Snipping Tool, how to quickly locate it when it's needed and also how make it always available with a single click of a mouse button, by pinning it to the Desktop Task Bar. Int…

705 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question