Solved

Thread.Abort() doesn't kill it

Posted on 2009-05-07
Last Modified: 2012-05-06
My abort button doesn't work. My code is something like this.

try {
   if (expThread != null) {
           if (expThread.IsAlive) {
              expThread.Abort();
          }
   }
}
catch (Exception Ex)
{
                MessageBox.Show("Error aborting scan: " + Ex.Message);
}

Im developing a Windows application (not Web based) using Visual Studio 2008 and Visual C#

When I press my ABORT button I trace through the code and it always executes expThread.Abort(); but expThread.IsAlive is always true. Shouldn't it be set to false when Abort() is executed?  

An exception is never encountered. ie. The MessageBox is not displayed.

Not sure what is happenning here. Anyone have any ideas?
Comment
Question by:rangers99
6 Comments

LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:andrewjb
ID: 24324116
It;'s asyncronous - use Thread.Join() to wait for the .Abort() to be processsed.

Your thread can also ignore the abort request.

Author Comment

by:rangers99
ID: 24324135
andrew
Thanks. Where does Thread.Join() go in the code?

LVL 12

Accepted Solution

by:
andrewjb earned 100 total points
ID: 24324191
{
  expThread.Abort();
  expThread.Join();
}
Master Your Team's Linux and Cloud Stack

Come see why top tech companies like Mailchimp and Media Temple use Linux Academy to build their employee training programs.

LVL 6

Expert Comment

by:Cebik
ID: 24324194
and it's better to use

catch (ThreadAbortException)
{
      return;
}

Open in new window

Author Comment

by:rangers99
ID: 24324794
Cebik , yes its better but its not really the issue here.

andrew
I tried thread.Join() but my application just hangs. My thread appears to be un-abortable. Im not sure what the hell is going on.

LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:andrewjb
ID: 24324841
What's your thread doing? .Abort() raises a ThreadAbortException on the thread. If the thread catches+ignores that, it'll never stop. Or if it is itself stuck waiting for a signal or mutex, then it'll remain waiting.
I can't tell what the issue is without seeing what the thread is doing.

Featured Post

Live: Real-Time Solutions, Start Here

Receive instant 1:1 support from technology experts, using our real-time conversation and whiteboard interface. Your first 5 minutes are always free.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article shows how to deploy dynamic backgrounds to computers depending on the aspect ratio of display
The article shows the basic steps of integrating an HTML theme template into an ASP.NET MVC project
This Micro Tutorial will give you a basic overview how to record your screen with Microsoft Expression Encoder. This program is still free and open for the public to download. This will be demonstrated using Microsoft Expression Encoder 4.
The Email Laundry PDF encryption service allows companies to send confidential encrypted  emails to anybody. The PDF document can also contain attachments that are embedded in the encrypted PDF. The password is randomly generated by The Email Laundr…

776 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question