I'm planning on building a PC which will let me use it as
1. HTPC (1080p/BD capable)
2. Regular PC (browsing, VPN, 1 or 2 Virtual machines, regular software)
3. Very little Gaming (not sure what i'm talking about as i'm not a gamer, but want to try).
These are some of the features I'm hoping this "box" should have, I'm new to building PCs (but I'm a sys admin and quite savvy w/ hardware/software installation). I wanted some input as to what kind of hardware should I buy for this device starting from:
1. HTPC Case (room for 3 or 4 3.5" drives and enough cooling)
3. Processor (should i just get a core 2 duo or Phenom or get a Quad core - overkill?)
4. Graphics Card (is it even needed if we use IGP chipset like AMD 780/790 or Intel G45)
5. Blue Ray ROM (DVD/CD R/W) - LG unit?
6. 2 x TV Tuner Card (ability to schedule and record TV shows and Hulu) - hauppauge?
7. 802.11g/n support w/ Gigbit NIC
8. Decent sound card (7.1)
9. 4gb of RAM w/ room for more (in case of going 64 bit later).
10. Open to adding extra cooling.
11. Remote control for all this? Gyration or similar?
12. Use Vista Ultimate or Win Home Server? or anything else?
I understand this is probably too much to ask for and not even sure if I'm making sense here! My apologies if some of this stuff doesn't make sense. But any suggestions on these hardware will be greatly appreciated and will speed my process! Thanks much for your attention!