We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

IE7 blocked when following link in office document

583 Views
Last Modified: 2013-12-08
Hello,
I have users on xp sp3 computers with office xp and ie6. After upgrading to IE7, they get an error when following url links embedded in office documents. So if they click on www.google.com in a Word document or in an email, they get the error "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer". But opening IE7 first and then browsing to the same url works fine.
We use a gpo (server 2003) for these users with User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System > Run Only Allowed Windows Applications enabled. The list contains iexplore.exe. I also tried adding "iexplore.exe www.google.com" and then following www.google.com in word, still blocked.
When I watch taskman when logged in with a profile without the gpo applied, I can't see an extra process fired up before IE7 is launched. I haven't tried process explorer yet, but I thought I try here to see if anyone already knows the answer? Is the allowed applications list the right place to look fix this problem?
Thanks
Comment
Watch Question

bluntTonyHead of ICT
Top Expert 2009

Commented:
Have a look in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
Restrictions] (and the equivalent in HKCU).
Any restriction values in here? Is it just office documents, or any links at all?
There is a restriction which disallows opening a link in a new window - NoOpenInNewWnd. Possibly this?
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/442/
 
bluntTonyHead of ICT
Top Expert 2009

Commented:
typo - meant to say ...and the equivalent in HKLM...

Author

Commented:
Hi bluntTony,
When user is logged on, there is only one value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
which is "noextensionmanagement" and set to 1.
I also checked the system key in HKLM and there are no values set at all.
Also, urls in word and outlook do launch IE6; it just doesn't launch IE7.

Author

Commented:
I've also tried setting the noextensionmanagement to 0 and adding NoOpenInNewWnd, setting it to 0; no luck. I did this under HKEY_CURRENT_USER since the HKLM part doesn't even have an internet explorer section under microsoft.
Head of ICT
Top Expert 2009
Commented:
This one is on us!
(Get your first solution completely free - no credit card required)
UNLOCK SOLUTION

Author

Commented:
You're absolutely right; the person had the same problem and all I needed to do was change IEXPLORE.EXE to iexplore.exe in the reg value. The rest of the solution was not necessary and not relevant, since the instructions were for IE6, not IE7 (the reset web settings is in IE6, not IE7).

Incidentally, looking in our allowed list of processes, we have both iexplore.exe and IEXPLORE.EXE, so I think we may have had similar problems, but then with IE6. And thinking back, I recall we have had odd problems where we had to put certain processes both in upper- and lowercase in the allowed list to make things work. Apparently the windows shell is case-sensitive.. For now we have only a few IE7 computers so it's no big problem, but if we are going to roll this out on dozens of pcs, I hate to be around.

Thanks for the solution!
bluntTonyHead of ICT
Top Expert 2009

Commented:
Glad you got it sorted :0)
Unlock the solution to this question.
Join our community and discover your potential

Experts Exchange is the only place where you can interact directly with leading experts in the technology field. Become a member today and access the collective knowledge of thousands of technology experts.

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

OR

Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.