Due to economic conditions (my budget for this project was basically eliminated), I am looking for a free server backup software package that meets the following criteria:
1) Back up Windows 2003 servers with support for standard backup types (full, incremental, differential, etc.)
2) Software compression to disk (I will be copying these files over the WAN for off-site, so good compression is essential).
3) Can be scheduled to run without the system being left in a logged-on state.
4) Will run as a "backup" -- meaning it can take advantage of security bypass.
Would like to have but can live without:
1) Console (if needed) runs on Windows. I don't currently have any UNIX in our environment, and would prefer not to install a UNIX system to run the console.
2) Multi-stream / multi-target or whatever you want to call it technology. This means that the backup software can send the backups to multiple locations at the same time (ie to a local NAS and to a remote NAS).
3) Utilize shadow copy for open-file backup capability.
4) Use standard compression algorithm that I can decompress without installing the backup software.
5) Open-source with active community
I know, I'm asking lot for a free piece of software.
Please note that I can search the web as well as the next guy. I'm looking for suggestions on software that you or a respected college have actually used in a production environment.