Still celebrating National IT Professionals Day with 3 months of free Premium Membership. Use Code ITDAY17

x
?
Solved

Cross platform web app character encoding problems

Posted on 2009-05-12
11
Medium Priority
?
1,360 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-11
Hello Experts.

I'm currently working on an web application that runs with UTF-8 encoding.
I'm running my web application on a resin 2.0.27. My web app is a spring mvc application which receives a couple of parameters when an user invokes a servlet with a specific url. The application then asks the index, which in turn returns data for my application to present to the user.

My problem is as follows:
When specifying in my resin conf that the resin instance should run with UTF-8 character encoding characters like åäö works fine in my linux environment(firefox). But when calling the application from a windows environment(firefox, IE) all parameters which contains å ä ö gets ignored by the request object. When sending the correct utf-8 encoding(%C3%B6 instead of ö) then everything works fine.

If i don't specify UTF-8 in my resin conf then all parameters exist inte the request object but the encoding gets all wrong in the linux environment and the web application receives junk characters such as ö->ö.
But when calling the application from windows å ä ö gets iso encoded(ö -> %F6 )
and works fine.

What I'm i doing wrong, why do this problem occur?
Could you please help me figure this out.
 
0
Comment
Question by:jide85
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 5
  • 3
  • 3
11 Comments
 
LVL 86

Expert Comment

by:CEHJ
ID: 24363854
>>But when calling the application from a windows environment

In what way is the application called? What's the browser interface? If it's a <form> do you specify a UTF-8 charset?
0
 
LVL 86

Expert Comment

by:CEHJ
ID: 24363880
0
 
LVL 1

Author Comment

by:jide85
ID: 24363890
I'm invoking a servlet which receives the request object.
Like this
Search.do?q=städning&procedure=öppen.
0
Concerto Cloud for Software Providers & ISVs

Can Concerto Cloud Services help you focus on evolving your application offerings, while delivering the best cloud experience to your customers? From DevOps to revenue models and customer support, the answer is yes!

Learn how Concerto can help you.

 
LVL 86

Expert Comment

by:CEHJ
ID: 24363925
But how is it getting that query string? It should be url-encoded. See java.net.URLEncoder
0
 
LVL 92

Expert Comment

by:objects
ID: 24363967
0
 
LVL 86

Expert Comment

by:CEHJ
ID: 24364015
>>When sending the correct utf-8 encoding(%C3%B6 instead of ö) then everything works fine.

That's exactly how the url *should* be encoded
0
 
LVL 1

Author Comment

by:jide85
ID: 24372675
But how is it getting that query string? It should be url-encoded. See java.net.URLEncoder
I'm not sure what you mean. Th query string is written into the web browsers search field.
A request to the web server is created with the paramaters. If a parameter=a word with å ä ö
the parameter do not get included to the request object. Why?

would suggest adding a CharacterEncodingFilter if you don't already
I have tried to impelent a filter

I have already implemented a filter to make sure that my request object get's the right encoding. What I discovered in this filter was that the parameters do not exist in the request object if they contain å ä ö. This must mean that resin is doing something with the parameters which contains åäö or?
0
 
LVL 92

Expert Comment

by:objects
ID: 24372712
try using firebug to look at the details of the requests and response, in particular the encoding of them and the page

0
 
LVL 86

Assisted Solution

by:CEHJ
CEHJ earned 300 total points
ID: 24374490
>>Th query string is written into the web browsers search field.

If you've got a search box then you have a search form presumably. Did you set the form attribute as i suggested earlier?
0
 
LVL 92

Accepted Solution

by:
objects earned 1200 total points
ID: 24381870
0
 
LVL 1

Author Comment

by:jide85
ID: 24480349
Thank you guys. What i did was that I implemented a filter which checks if the url is utf encoded.
If not then i decode the request object with ISO and encode it with UTF-8 and viola, no more
encoding issues.
0

Featured Post

Concerto's Cloud Advisory Services

Want to avoid the missteps to gaining all the benefits of the cloud? Learn more about the different assessment options from our Cloud Advisory team.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Java had always been an easily readable and understandable language.  Some relatively recent changes in the language seem to be changing this pretty fast, and anyone that had not seen any Java code for the last 5 years will possibly have issues unde…
Introduction Java can be integrated with native programs using an interface called JNI(Java Native Interface). Native programs are programs which can directly run on the processor. JNI is simply a naming and calling convention so that the JVM (Java…
Video by: Michael
Viewers learn about how to reduce the potential repetitiveness of coding in main by developing methods to perform specific tasks for their program. Additionally, objects are introduced for the purpose of learning how to call methods in Java. Define …
Viewers learn about the scanner class in this video and are introduced to receiving user input for their programs. Additionally, objects, conditional statements, and loops are used to help reinforce the concepts. Introduce Scanner class: Importing…
Suggested Courses

721 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question