I have just installed an HP Proliant server, running Windows 2003 Server SBS Standard R2 (SP2). I originally set this up in my shop (which is on a .15 subnet), and installed it yesterday in the client's location (a .1 subnet). I have changed the IP accordingly. This is supposed to be a file server, but has the option to expand as needs warrant. We have 5 client PCs and 1 spare. The clients are not set up on Active Directory, nor do they want to be at this time.
After anywhere between 1-2 hours, the server quits responding to requests to file sharing. At the same time, I can't access the server's DNS server or Remote Desktop Connection. However, it does respond to pings with no problem. Eventually, it starts working again. Sometimes though, the PCs do have to reboot in order to return to normal.
Here is what I have tried so far...
- Changing the IP (using the Server Management tool, not just in network connections, so that SBS changes all IPs accordingly)
- Winsock reset
- the netsh int ip reset command
- checked to see if LSP needed to be fixed.
- Disabled IPSEC (per a couple of other questions and such).
- New switch
- Packet monitoring from the server does not yield connection requests on the SMB ports, but it will pick up broadcasts from when the PC is looking for the server.
I haven't tried to replace the DSL modem/router yet. That device is an old Cayman 3220-H from Bellsouth (AT&T). It's so old it has a 4-port hub in it. However, nothing, other than the new switch, is hooked up to the hub. Everything else is on the new switch.
This is a fresh load of Windows SBS, and I had no problems in the office when setting it up.