SCCM best practice - collections and softwrae deployment
Posted on 2009-05-16
I want to knwo if I am on the right track here with setting up collections, and distributing software around the enetrprise.
To organise software deployment per department
1) Re-organise AD into departmental OUs to contain users & computers
2) Create collection in SCCM " HR", for example. Set up membership rules query against HR OU
3) Assign package to HR collection
To organise software on an individual basis (not per site, dep, all systems)
1) Create a collection per package for non-standard software ( MS Proj, Adobe writer etc)
2) Create AD Security groups - "Apps- Ms Proj "(for example)
2)Set up membership rules to query AD Security group
3) Add computer to group, SCCM polls group, deploys software
Is this sound? or perhaps there is a better way?
I would rather have Helpdesk interface with AD, and leave SCCM to Domain admins where possible..
Also - for the above to work, is there a means of notifying HD that the software has been successfully delivered? Or do we have to go back to SCCM console and check each time to confirm. ? Perhaps a scaled down mmc snap-in that shows the status is the way to go?