Solved

exchange emails lost after changing primary email address

Posted on 2009-05-17
4
639 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-07
I have a client running a Small Busienss Server 2003 using the POP3 connector to download emails.  All has been working ok until last Friday.  The client wanted their primary email address domain changed, so under each user i created a new smtp email address and set the new address as the primary address.  All looked ok - emails sent showed the users email address as the new ones but after a little while we realised that no one was receiving emails.  

At first i thought it might have been an issue with the new domain name and DNS settings on the internet but after a couple of hours of testing i realised that emails were getting to their internet mail server (hosted by the company who looks after their domain names) but when the POP connector was downloading emails it was not sending them to the users exchange account - they were just disappearing.

After much panic and testing i have changed their primary email address on their accounts back to the original email address and now the POP connector is delivering emails correctly.

So i now have 3 questions:

1. The emails downloaded but not delivered -where do they go and can i get them back?
2. why would changing the primary email address cause emails to not be delivered?
3. how do i change the primary address and not have this problem come back?

With out giving the real domains the structure of the changes were basically:

original domain: smithxyz.co.nz
server domain: smithxyz.local
new domain: smith-xyzq.co.nz

No change was made to the server domain.


thanks
0
Comment
Question by:drgtech
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 58

Accepted Solution

by:
tigermatt earned 250 total points
ID: 24405562

You need to add the new domain into the Exchange 2003 Recipient Policy on the server. This tells Exchange (and probably the POP3 connector) it is authoritative for that email domain and can deliver email for it.

This is added by opening Exchange System Manager > Recipients > Recipient Policies > Default (right-click, Properties) > Email Addresses > Add > SMTP > domain @smith-xyzq.co.nz > OK > Set Primary > OK.

After the RUS runs, users will automatically get the new address as their primary address, and the POP3 connector should continue to work correctly.

You should be looking to move to direct SMTP delivery, which is much easier and eliminates the POP3 connector as both a bottleneck and an unneeded troubleshooting point.

-Matt
0
 

Author Comment

by:drgtech
ID: 24408038
thanks for this - i will try it later today.  i've now found some warnings in the event viewer which i missed on Friday:

An attempt to relay e-mail to recipient <xxx@xxxx.co.nz> was made. The e-mail could not be delivered because the recipient's e-mail domain name does not match any local e-mail domains.

I guess if i had seen these on Friday a lot of effort over the wekeend would have been saved!!

What happens to these emails that haven't been delivered and can i get them back?
0
 

Author Comment

by:drgtech
ID: 24417781
Hi tigermatt

just to let you know - when changing the email domain you also need to change the domain name in the email setup useing the Internet and Email setup wizard or you get messages about the server not being able to relay emails for xxx.co.nz

I still would like to know if the undelivered emails can be recovered.

cheers
Paul
0
 
LVL 58

Expert Comment

by:tigermatt
ID: 24425825

All the wizard does is add the address to the recipient policies. Since you manually added the address to the recipient policy, using the wizard is no different.

The wizard may do something with the POP3 connector, but you should be using direct SMTP delivery anyway, in which case the recipient policy is the only change required.

By memory (I don't have access to a test rig at the moment) the POP connector has a setting somewhere in its configuration where you can deliver unresolvable email to a particular mailbox on the server. If that was set when the undelivered emails came in, the emails will be in that mailbox and can be recovered. If it was not set or disabled, they will have been lost.

-Matt
0

Featured Post

How Do You Stack Up Against Your Peers?

With today’s modern enterprise so dependent on digital infrastructures, the impact of major incidents has increased dramatically. Grab the report now to gain insight into how your organization ranks against your peers and learn best-in-class strategies to resolve incidents.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Utilizing an array to gracefully append to a list of EmailAddresses
This article explains how to install and use the NTBackup utility that comes with Windows Server.
In this video we show how to create an Address List in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Organization >> Ad…
how to add IIS SMTP to handle application/Scanner relays into office 365.

751 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question