Arcserve 11.5 update get client agent for windows license failure after install service packs

Posted on 2009-05-18
Last Modified: 2012-05-07
Hi Experts,

I got this error after update sp3 of arcserve 11.5,
E12002             <315V> Client Agent for Windows  - License Failure. Please contact your account representative to obtain a new license.

i have valid license and the backup still run successfully.

anyone know how can i clear this error? i have tried to upgrade to sp4 but still got the same error.

Question by:nokyplease
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 5
  • 5
LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 24410261
go to registry and look for 315V under

delete the key 315V and all its sub-keys

then go to C:\program files\ca\sharedcomponents\ca_lic\
run calicnse.exe and enter in your license key for 'client agent for windows'

restart arcserve services.

Expert Comment

ID: 24417732

This is a Licensing error and I am sure, unless you have entered the license keys you cant get rid of it... Make sure that you have licensed the Client Agent for Windows on the server. If its a licensing issue, it triggers a CA_LIC error with Event Id 5000 on the Application log in Windows Event Viewer.

To license the Client agent for Windows, please run CALicnse located in c:\prog files\ca\shared components\ca_lic
Type in the license key and click on add to add it to the registry

Remember Service Packs are just an update to the existing version, so they would never resolve Licensing Issues..


Author Comment

ID: 24418066
hi, i tried the delete registry key and run calicnse.exe, there is something weird it shows me both agent for open files on windows and client agent for windows servers are both of 999999999 license count.

after i entered the license, now both updated to  1999999998, am i correct?
Comparison of Amazon Drive, Google Drive, OneDrive

What is Best for Backup: Amazon Drive, Google Drive or MS OneDrive? In this free whitepaper we look at their performance, pricing, and platform availability to help you decide which cloud drive is right for your situation. Download and read the results of our testing for free!

LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 24419637
the value showing 9999.. and then 1999..98 is more of a cosmetic error.

as you were able to enter the lic for client agent, it should be ok now... are you still getting the error?

Author Comment

ID: 24428288
i got the same error after re-entering the license.... any other method i can try?
LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 24432964
was this license entered on the Backup server or agent server?

Author Comment

ID: 24439466
license entered at agent server.
LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 24439617
'Client agent for windows' license needs to be entered into Backup Server.

with 11.5 this holds true for any OS agents.

where as other agents like exchange, sql, open-file - license should be entered wherever the agent is installed.

use the help-about or calicnse.exe and enter the client agent license on the backup server... this should fix your issue.

Author Comment

ID: 24447285
i tried enter keys to both server agent and client agent but it all show up as i got so many licenses

999999999 license count at server side
1999999998 license count at client side

this is just so weird.  
LVL 10

Accepted Solution

itprotocall earned 500 total points
ID: 24465775
thats more of cosmetic error (showing all 9's)
are you still getting the license failure error?

if yes, then your last option would be to contact licensing support at CA.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 31582499
the problem still not fixed, but all backup service still runing good.

anyway, thanks for all of your help

Featured Post

On Demand Webinar - Networking for the Cloud Era

This webinar discusses:
-Common barriers companies experience when moving to the cloud
-How SD-WAN changes the way we look at networks
-Best practices customers should employ moving forward with cloud migration
-What happens behind the scenes of SteelConnect’s one-click button

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

We planned to use NetApp's SnapManager for Exchange (SME) to make three snapshots a day for quick recovery. Additional we planned to use Symantec NetBackup7 to backup to tape media for disaster recovery. We followed the best practice guide from NetA…
A quick step-by-step overview of installing and configuring Carbonite Server Backup.
This tutorial will walk an individual through configuring a drive on a Windows Server 2008 to perform shadow copies in order to quickly recover deleted files and folders. Click on Start and then select Computer to view the available drives on the se…
This tutorial will walk an individual through the process of configuring basic necessities in order to use the 2010 version of Data Protection Manager. These include storage, agents, and protection jobs. Launch Data Protection Manager from the deskt…

734 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question